Favorite Bicycle Movie

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How about "Funnycar Summer" My parents took me to see it at the drive-in. Its a movie about Drag racing but there is a whole part of the movie where kids are drag racing muscle bikes, complete with parachutes. I'm pretty sure thats where i first started my love for bikes, I must have been about ten years old. I wanted to be able to ride a wheelie without a front wheel just like the guy in the movie.

Just checked, you can watch the kids on muscle bikes on youtube :p

I love the opening scenes of "On Any Sunday" with the kids jumping and pulling wheelies on their early-'70's muscle bikes!

Forrest Gump. When he broke free of his braces while the bullies on bikes chased him. "Run Forrest Run!"

yeah, BMX bandits was the first to come to mind, besides the obvious PeeWees Big Adventure. But if you remember back to the 90's, the movie "The hand that rocks the cradle", the opening scene with the handyman riding his old ratty cruiser and towing his homemade tool trailer. Props to that old ratty cruiser... Props to the ratty homemade trailer he was towing and Props to the new bike the family bought for him later in the movie.

And why is it that every cruiser bike thats hanging upsidedown or just hanging from the rafters looks like they never get ridden. I'm just saying. (Seinfeld, Home Improvement among others)

Thanks to everyone who has replied to the post. Have watched a lot of clips of your favorite movies at youtube.
Now I plan on picking a few of them up to add to my movie collection. Thanks again. :D

Went out for dinner this evening, then went to walk it off at the mall. Only bike movie I found was
American Flyer with Kevin Costner. Picked it up for 2.95 just finished watching it. I thought it was
good. Wife looked on the net for some of the other movies, she said Breaking Away had a great rating.
Quicksilver she found for sale but nothing on RAD. BMX Bandits is coming out with a new dvd in March.
Thanks again for all the suggestions.

You, Me, and Dupree has some bike love in it for sure. Breaking Away, though,is classic. Moocher's handoff to Cyril is the best bike scene in cinema! :!:

highship said:
All I can say is "RAD". If you haven't seen it, it's a must; especially for you BMX guys.
I'm guessing it's like the rest of the movies from the 80's that I think (or thought) were cool... I watch them now and they are not nearly as good as I remember.

+1

You can find Rad on Vimeo.com, the full movie, uninterupted. Just watched it last week.

Bicycle thief is one that will really stick with you.

Breaking Away, great stuff.

I too point out bicycles in shows and movies, while having a Super Bowl party for the youth this weekend we were counting bicycles in commercials. One in particular was a Toyota Camry commercial, they had the same model Camry Wagon as mine with a bicycle on a carrier on the back of it. Cool.

I agree with whoever it was that said the opening scene in Any Given Sunday, those kids were BMX frontrunners, the whole movie is awesome, but if you like bikes you MUST watch the opening, no pads, no helmets, big jumps, huge saves, and minimal crashes. I'm sure all those kids are dead now, because research shows 100% of kids who ride bikes without helmets die.

Dennis the Menace
Bicycle Thieves (Italian: Ladri di biciclette), a Cinecitta movie from 1948, so go figure.
Kiki's Delivery Service
American Flyers
Saturday Night & Sunday Morning (there are lots of sequences filmed in the old Raleigh factory, where Albert Finney's character works)
Beijing Bicycle
Ghislain Lambert's Bicycle (Le Vélo de Ghislain Lambert - you MUST watch it in French, if necessary with subtitles)
Monkey Warfare

And I just cannot believe that Les Triplettes de Belleville hasn't been mentioned yet. You pplz should be ashamed of yourselves :mrgreen:

And the less obvious:

Better Off Dead
And Soon the Darkness (1970 and the 2010 remake)
New Jack City
The Goonies
Buffalo Dreams
Life is Beautiful (La Vita e Bella)
The Man with One Red Shoe
Napoleon Dynamite
Running Out of Time 2
The Wizard of Oz (the 1939 original)
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
National Lampoon's European Vacation
2 Seconds
20 Shades of Pink
Beasts of Burden
The Day I Became a Woman
The Hard Road (2003)
Hugo's Magic Pump
Joey Brown, 6 Day Racer (A hard to find BW film from the 40's. Lots of 6-day footage, starring era comedian, Joey Brown)
Jour de Fete
The Messenger (Not to be confused with Luc Besson's 1999 movie about Joan of Arc. This is a Japanese movie about bicycle messengers)
Middle of the World (O Caminho das Nuvens)
One Less Car
Return of the Scorcher
A Sunday in heck: 1976 Paris-Roubaix
Stars and Water Carriers
Who Owns The Streets/We Are Traffic
The Yellow Jersey
BicycleCam
Americathon
A Midsummer Night's Dream (The 1999 version is set sometime in the late 19th Century, and has lots of bicycles in it. While adhering to Shakespeare's dialogue, it manages to work loads of bicycles into the plot)
Better Off Dead
Brainstorm
Key Exchange
Little Miss Marker
Project A (features a chase scene through alleyways with Jackie Chan on a bicycle that should be included in any "great moments on film" compilation.
The Straight Story
The Tall Blonde Man With One Black Shoe
Time Chasers
Un Affaire D'Hommes

Back