Finished as a Shelby Fying Cloud

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Repost to update.

Badged as a Shelby
TheFlyingCloud.jpg

Because it looks right and the badge fits perfect, also it seems familiar to what I had remembered as a kid.

I have just renovated my fathers bike he won from a newspaper drive in Pasadena in about 1936 that he used to deliver the news. I have attached some pictures of the frame assembly details, most unusual I think is the seat post tightner which looks slid over the seat tube.

IMG_5817.jpg

The only pieces of this build that are not original to when I was given the bike in 1956, are the following:
The spokes are new stainless 166mm.
I had to purchase the used gooseneck and handlebars along withe grips.
New strap for the brake to frame connection.
I made the larger seat crash tab out of stainless.
I recently purchased the rack. Also the quick relase for seat adjustment is new.

The frame has been powder coated very close to the original color found inside the rims. The rims had narrow white pin stripe on each side. The fork had long narrow triangles pinstriped on each side. The fenders had white tips that started back 3 inches and peaked at 6.5 inches and a narrow white pinstripe near each edge os the fender.

The rear chain tighner bolts are 1/4 x 24tpi. Could find any to replace one which had the tip broken off so I drilled the end of bolt and inserted an 1/8 in rod set with loctite.

All the bearings were in very good shape , cleaned and greased and roll nicely.

I disassemled the bike in 1972, and had all the chrome parts rechromed for only $80. We bought a house and had two kids and I'm now getting to the build. When unpacked the box all the parts were wrpped in a 1972 newspaper and perfect shape.

Here are the detail pictures for review in helping me determine the Manufacturer and maybe the head badge needed. The mounting holes for the badge are exactly 2 5/8 in center to center.

IMG_5838.jpg

IMG_5836.jpg

IMG_5835.jpg

IMG_5834.jpg

IMG_5833.jpg

IMG_5832.jpg

IMG_5831.jpg

IMG_5830.jpg

IMG_5829.jpg

IMG_5828.jpg

IMG_5827.jpg

IMG_5822.jpg

IMG_5821.jpg

IMG_5824.jpg

IMG_5820.jpg

IMG_5819.jpg

IMG_5839.jpg

IMG_5844.jpg

IMG_5840.jpg

Original leather restored with restoration kit, amazing.

IMG_5841.jpg

IMG_5842.jpg

IMG_5844.jpg

IMG_5845.jpg

IMG_5846.jpg

IMG_5847.jpg

IMG_5849.jpg

IMG_5853.jpg

IMG_5854.jpg

Thank you for your patience and interest.

Beda

Re: Help with ID of 1936 CWC double bar

Nice bike and nice project!

Your Father’s bike is actually a Shelby and not a Cleveland Welding product (It is far less common than the double-bar roadster CWC bike you thought it might be.) I also believe that the bike is not a 1936 model but one or two years newer that that. Shelby’s are difficult to date by serial number but my research places this frame later than 1936 and that is backed up by the pattern of the original truss rods.

The rack you added to the bike is a CWC exclusive rack and is not something that would have originally been fitted to the bike. As for the badge, Shelby’s were badged many ways so you will probably not be able to discern what the original was unless you can find an old family photograph that shows it, but there are many different Shelby brand badges that should fit the hole spacing.

Thank you for your reply.

I was told originally it might be a Shelby, but susequently found out that Shelby did not have the rack catch tabs as part of the frame, but rather used a separtedly mounted shoe to hold the bike stand. Perhaps there were exceptions to that. I did notice several mid 30 Shelbys with the odd 1/4 x24tpi thread on the chain tightner job, with the double bar look as well as having the the same curve on the front chromed support rods.

I have inquired on perhaps 40 bades to get the center to center measurement for the badge and not come across the 2 5/8 in I need.

Beda

I love that color. With the new chrome, it looks really good. Are you going to do the fenders? You should! Gary

Thanks for your post Gary. Yes the fenders are on the to do list. They need to be smothed a little in steel, no filler before they go to the powder coater, and I have to add the slotted mounting tab to the front of the rear fender as well.

I'll post as it progresses.

Back