Firewing 1953 Columbia 3 Star DeLuxe (2nd) - 3/15 TRADED

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: FireWing 53 Columbia 3 Star-5/20 RRBer FireWing Parts

:lol:

Re: FireWing 53 Columbia 3 Star-5/23 More Seat Support Done

Finally had time to work on FireWing again. Getting close to wrapping up these rear seat supports.

First I had to remove the welded nut cases from one of the Elgin skirt guards. Not easy, but I got them off withiout damaging the guards.

Got everything bolted and strapped up on the right side.

I have just enough spring clearance going this way, but now that I look at it, I am going to bolt it up just a little differently to the spring frame so that the braces are closer to the fender to give more springer clearance.

I still need to do the same work to the left side, but it my be a few days before I can get to it. I have to refinish the floors in the upper carriage house apartment this weekend.

Propped the nanner up and I really like how this is going to turn out.

Real nice work on the nanner 8) ....the mounting idea along with the aged pleather fits this bike perfectly. 8)

Critter1 said:
That sprung nanner is just about the coolest thing ever! Nice work KF!!

sleepy said:
Real nice work on the nanner 8) ....the mounting idea along with the aged pleather fits this bike perfectly. 8)

dracothered said:
Looking better on that seat support...

Thanks guys. I still have a lot of work to do to make it complete, but I like the way it's turning out.

Very nice.
Kenny

Thanks guys!
No FireWing work today. Too busy yardsaleing, refinishing heart pine floors and enjoying the weather on last year's build Flex-liner 7
WP_001957_zps5c76752b.jpg

brilliant on the seat! congrats

Troy

looks like a wicked, vintage custom vibe going on! :mrgreen:

Re: FireWing 53 Columbia 3 Star-5/26 Skirt Braces Done +Mo Mocks

Thanks all! Glad you're digging FireWing.

Finally finished up the skirt braces. I have the old person seat springs bracket up top, but felt like I needed to sandwich the skirt braces from below and the side. So I took a rafter tab piece of flat metal and bent it to fit underneath.

This bolted up nicely and really makes the how unit strong and secure.

Like I said before, it is tough seeing the whole picture of my build from inside of my tiny shop. FireWing needed to breath a bit and I also wanted to test the springieness of the seat. I still don't have the springs mounted to the seatpan yet, but they are held there with tension and both the front and back springs worked like a dream!!!!! Too late to make a Home Depot run, but I have a good idea of how the mounting will go once I get the right hardware.

Here is me load testing the springs. You can see by the way that they curl inward, I need to fab up some sort of top plate.

I haven't laced the wheels yet, so I threw the red Hoggy's on there. Actually the front axle won't fit the fork. That why there is so much wheel gap up front.

I took the crash rail off of the original Columbia seat to try it on the nanner. It just didn't look right.
As I was holding onto the rail, it just sorta looked like a windshield frame, so I gave it a try. The patina on this is great and if I do use it, I plan on using chicken wire instead of glass. I also tried out the torch cut XX-eyed skull. Who knows if I will go with this setup. I'm gonna get some chicken wire or some other rusty wire or screen to mock it up.

Here is the other side

Then before bringing FireWing back into the shop, I threw a few other ideas on her.
I like the rusty bell on the fork.
I don't like the horn on the fork.
I think the Columbia fender light will work well if I rusty it up a good bit.

I like MORE COWBELL on the front fender

The light just seems to flow well with the lines of the build. Just not the chrome.

Cut out Fat Cat Lager cat and plan to put it on the bell.

I love red. This looks great!

Momma JATS

Latest posts

Back