Firewing 1953 Columbia 3 Star DeLuxe (2nd) - 3/15 TRADED

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: FireWing 53 Columbia 3 Star-6/7 Spokes and Jewels

Took the 1948 Chrysler tailight apart and cleaned up the glass.

I love this smaller jewel at the top of the light. Soaking some of this section overnight.

So I have a :?: Do you paint with spray cans? Doesnt your paint scratch off? or do you have a trick that allows it to stay...
It seems evrything I spray scratchs,iI even have a compressor and electric spray gun...I'm just wondering if it is the quality of paint here...
Great idea for the spoke spray holder,how did you get those wood worms to chew holes in straight row :lol: :lol: :lol:

Is the taillight actually glass? Looks pretty.

I like your spoke fence.

Wow I have a lot of catching up to do ... Good luck .. I like the spoke Jig you should put a villian action figure behind the spokes..
It will look like a action figure in jail .. :lol:
The Tail light is awesome it looks like a Shelby bike tail light .. :D

gorgeous tail light man!!

Troy

Funkme said:
So I have a :?: Do you paint with spray cans? Doesnt your paint scratch off? or do you have a trick that allows it to stay...
It seems evrything I spray scratchs,iI even have a compressor and electric spray gun...I'm just wondering if it is the quality of paint here...
Great idea for the spoke spray holder,how did you get those wood worms to chew holes in straight row :lol: :lol: :lol:

As with most painting, I think best results come from the prep work. That being said, I don't go to the lengths that others do, but I have had pretty good results.

It was pretty simple to make that spoke jig from a scrap piece of wood and my Harbor Freight yard sale drill press.

yoothgeye said:
Is the taillight actually glass? Looks pretty.

I like your spoke fence.

Real red glass with cool cut lenses inside like you would see in a lighthouse.

tanksalot said:
I like the spoke Jig you should put a villian action figure behind the spokes..
Great idea! Very Sensei worthy...

Love that taillight KingFish!

Luke.

WOW!again SUPER BIKE,love the wheels,sooooooooooooo many ideas :idea: :idea: :idea: Um :D :D :D :D :D Thanks.

tanksalot said:
Wow I have a lot of catching up to do ... Good luck .. I like the spoke Jig you should put a villian action figure behind the spokes..
The Tail light is awesome it looks like a Shelby bike tail light .. :D

LukeTheJoker said:
Great idea! Very Sensei worthy...

Love that taillight KingFish!

jats said:
gorgeous tail light man!! Troy

Glad to see you in the build off finally tanksalot. The light would look a lot like a Shelby if I mounted it high, but I'm gonna cut it down and mount it low on the fender. It reminds me of a different bike light/reflector, but I can't remember which one.

I love this light too. It's built to last and is gonna be fun retrofitting to the bike.

primestyle said:
WOW!again SUPER BIKE,love the wheels,sooooooooooooo many ideas :idea: :idea: :idea: Um :D :D :D :D :D Thanks.

Thanks man.
The ideas that come up during the RRBorg Collective of Creativity are half the fun of the event!!!!

I am itching to lace up my wheels, but I am taking a break to let the spoke paint cure at least a day and a half.

Everytime I look at this bike I can see you speeding along in it. Great job brother B!! I for one can't wait to see the end results. 8) Peace

Thanks Jake. Spoke paint has cured long enough. Time to GET TO LACIN, Peace.

Re: FireWing 53 Columbia 3 Star-6/9 WHEELS FINALLY DONE!!!

Somehow got confused a few times and had to start over with the rear wheel lacing about 3 or 4 times. Finally got it done right and with minimal scratching of the spoke paint. I am really pleased with the primer red spokes, aged nipples, black hubs, and original patina painted rims.

Once I tightened up the spokes and finished truing the wheel, I used a double row of electrical tape as my rim strip, then mounted the brick red Schwinn Typhoon Cord tires. The tire color works well with the rims and spokes too.

I just learned an important lesson.
I scrubbed the tires and then put some armor all on them, then laid them out in the sun to dry.

Went inside and ate lunch, and just as I was posting the wheel lacing pics,,,,,,,,
:shock: !!!! BOOM !!!!! :shock:
We went running out on the porch and all of our neighbors ran to their courtyards too.
One of the tubes exploded!!!! No harm to the wheel or tire though.
BOY , IT WAS LOUD!!! :shock:

Rockit! said:
Ha! That Savannah sun! 8)

It's 85, but feels like it's 98 right now.
One neighbor was potting some plants just on the other side of the courtyard wall when it blew up. I sure hope she was wearing her Depends! :mrgreen:
Queenfish just told me that was God's way of saying "Thou shall not put bike parts in thy courtyard!"

Armor All left your tire slippery, tire unseated from rim and tube popped out with gusto I'd guess, amplified by heat.

Latest posts

Back