First custom bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my grandfather had a bicycle (90's Openroad Beach Cruiser) but he did not like the seat so he replaced it with the seat from my grandmothers old exercise bike. It was a thick cushiony beast. He got sick and gave me his bike. I set out to find a replacement seat since i didnt care much for the exercise bike seat. I had always wanted a banana seat so went looking for one. I found out a banana seat for a 26" bike wasn't a real common thing. During my search i stumbled across this site and my plans expanded. Thanks to you guys I ended up with a bicycle I really love and I had a lot of fun getting there. Most of the work was just turning wrenches and installing new parts but I did repaint the frame and the rims so I had to tear the whole thing down and later relace the wheels. It was quite the learning experience and now I'm on to my next project and it is quite a bit more audacious (found a use for that exercise bike seat). So here's some pics of the process. Thank you guys for inspiring me to go a lot further than just replacing a seat!!

BEFORE

Seat that started everything

After painting and replacing seat, forks, handlebars/grips and tires. Made the streamers from some leather I had laying around.

Thanks for looking!!

Thanks. The bent forks took awhile to get used to but after a month or so its just as comfortable and easy to ride as ever. The banana seat is fantastic comfort-wise...i have no idea why they stopped putting those on bikes and why they weren't a fixture on adult bikes. I love the riding posture they promote, it just feels correct.

Rusty, how did the bent fork change the ride, steering. I'm thinking thru a build and considered bent forks, but looking for some feedback before I do it. My planned build will be a cruiser.
A bent springer changes the rake of the bike, makes it a little wobbly.

The difference in steering is hard to explain. Small movements are more pronounced than before and if I am moving slowly its more difficult to maneuver. The biggest difference for me was that when turning I have to keep the inside pedal up or it will scrape the pavement. Also I have scraped the chainring a few times going up/down a sharp drop. I just pay more attention and slow down or put a foot down to keep the frame up. Its all things I was able to adapt to and now its second nature. It may not be as easy to ride as before but its worth it for the look. I do a 12 mile ride on it once a week and its not much of an issue.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back