Fix This II - 7-30 - new pics - polished up

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: The Mötley Crüe-ser

whooops! i just noticed i said BTO...i ment BOC :roll:

you're right.. But only with four years and i doubt they stole it from them.. Lemmy is god :)

ballroomwrecker said:
you're right.. But only with four years and i doubt they stole it from them.. Lemmy is god :)

i mite have made up the part about crue stealin 'em, but i do recall that lemmy said in his bio that he did steal 'em from blue oyster cult.
23520.jpg

who'd win in a wrestling match, lemmy or god? trick question. lemmy is god!

beatcad said:
who'd win in a wrestling match, lemmy or god? trick question. lemmy is god!

haha!

Crue says they were drinking Löwenbräu and took the idea from there. Of course they werent the first to use them

And as far as the build goes, the front rim is not savable so I stripped the hub and spokes out of it. Not sure where the build is going right now

Re: Fix This II - frame change, was The Mötley Crüe-ser

Changing frames. This was my original choice. 71 (have to double check) Schwinn Suburban.

Some of you may remember my Fix This! build. I had to strip it last year because the frame was way too tall, had no stopping power, and was just dangerous to ride lol. I kept this frame hanging around to rebuild since its a lot smaller. Tried my exercise sprocket and it just fits, so let the building begin. Of course none of the parts I wanted to use were working because of Schwinn's goofy sizes. Right before scrapping the build I found this Tange fork I had tucked away in the corner. Fits perfect but doesnt have the tabs at the bottom for the fender. So now I'm not sure what I'm going to do for fenders. Found this awesome stem the other day I didnt even know I had. Had to grind a little off the bottom but I got it to fit nicely. This frame is nice because it already has the brackets for the brakes and derailer. I waxed one small spot and the paint will shine up real nice. Not sure what to do for a rear hub yet. I'm thinking internal geared to keep it cleaner.

My original build:

fixthis3-1.jpg

fixthis1-1.jpg

My new frame:

Photo0679-1.jpg

DSC03083.jpg

DSC03085.jpg

Skipton said:
Love it! I do have lots of love for a diamond frame Hot Rod!..... Exercise sprocket looks sick!...Keep it coming!
+ 1

I love those low american diamond/racer frames. It's looking very fast already...
Good luck on this one!

I remembered I had a wheelset off a Raleigh I stripped with a bent frame. Got the wheels down, rear was a Femco, front Araya. No big deal, they are similar enough. Looking around the garage I found a rim/tire that I found next to a dumpster. Its an Araya, an exact match to the one I need. Also had a like new tire. I unlaced it, polished the chrome, and laced it into the back wheel. Now I have to true/dish it to fit my bike. The chrome is amazing. I also polished a test spot on the headbadge, its going to look like chrome as well.

The unlaced Araya next to the femco. Taped them together and moved the spokes over

Photo0750.jpg

Now I have matching rims/hubs

Photo0751.jpg

Shiny!

Photo0752.jpg

As stated, this bike has to have good brakes. Now my problem is with the bars, they are too short for all the levers I have, except this one pair I have that came off a 16" schwinn. I think they look too modern for the bike. I would strip the blue and polish all the aluminum. What do you guys think?

Photo0754.jpg

Ive got a million bars if ya need different ones.....and a thousand brake levers.... :mrgreen:

Re: Fix This II - 6/6

I like where it's going! Looks like a vintage land-speed-record machine!

Good luck with it, gotta love a Campus Green Schwinn. :)

--Rob

Back