Fixing up a Schwinn

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a Schwinn really cheap since it was painted all gold for a parade. I am trying to take a little time restoring it. I would like to identify it as well. I managed to not get too impatient and see if there was anything hiding under the gold paint on the chain guard. I managed to get the following pictures. The frame ID number is HA103915. One identifier said it is a 1965, but the rims are steel and made in Taiwan with heavy duty spokes.

Closest chain guard I could find is a cruiser/spitfire, but I couldn't find any with this color or paint style. Ideas? Thanks BikenutScott

Attachments

• IMG_3557.jpg
    IMG_3557.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3556.jpg
    IMG_3556.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
That's a frame made in Oct 1965.
That's a later model lettering and may have been added along with the wheels. Some pics of the whole bike is needed.

I've seen many Schwinn middleweights with non-oem wheels. The 26 x 3/4 S6 tires weren't always available or the price was too high for the owner so they would swap for S2 wheels in the now industry standard 26 x 1.nn or 2.nn. The tire size is usually molded into the tire sidewall or printed on. Newer tires would have the ISO size: 559 for S2, 597 for S6.

Schwinn used "heavy duty" spokes and rims on the Heavy Duti, the Twinn tandems and the older Town & Country tandems. "Heavy duty" is a relative term. They are typically thicker than 14g (.080") in several sizes up to 0.120". You could measure the spoke diameter. Schwinn used Bendix coaster brake 1 speed hubs in the 1960s.

Latest posts

Back