Flat spot on rim. Fix or ??

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got this schwinn super seven off a local market listing.

Thinking was too clean it up make adjustments and use it as my daily and weekend bike and just use the cruiser four for those nice flat trails on occasion.

Once seeing it in person things change. Rides ok but pulls to the left real bad. Great tires and from rim.
Further inspection and the forks are both bent to the right about 1/2-1 inch, also looks like the frame is tweaked up towards the headset, might be an optical illusion due to the bent forks?

The nexus 7 speed shifts great and seems to work just fine. However the rim is bent and has an area three spokes wide that is flat. I know I can true it but the flat spot, I don't know?

So now thinking on using the nexus hub and upgrade my cruiser four with this 7 speed.

So wondering if I can relace the front rim to the nexus hub? Rims are same make and spoke count? Not certain if it is doable that I can actually tackle it??

Attachments

• IMG_2664.jpeg
    IMG_2664.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 2
Looks like the same rims, so it should lace up, using the same spokes. And you'll have extra spokes from the front wheel. Have you laced up a wheel in the past? You'll have to copy the same spoke pattern, 3 cross or 4 cross.

The fork look like it was bent then straightened but still not correct. I wouldn't trust that fork.

Looks like the same rims, so it should lace up, using the same spokes. And you'll have extra spokes from the front wheel. Have you laced up a wheel in the past? You'll have to copy the same spoke pattern, 3 cross or 4 cross.

The fork look like it was bent then straightened but still not correct. I wouldn't trust that fork.
No, never laced a wheel. Trued my first wheels this past week on a trike, came out good. As far as the fork, me and the misses pulled them to the left just over a half inch each. Put it together and test rode it, just a tiny bit of pulling. Surprised we were able to get it fairly correct. I did notice the head tube that's welded to the forks is also bent, backwards a bit. pulled it and we rebent it, assembled and now it handles just as nice as my cruiser four.

Got the forks bent back to shape, head tube was also bent so straightened that also. 30 minuets of work and now it handles just as good as my cruiser four does. Hands fee even.

Now to move onto the rim. Great advice here and watched several videos on lacing and repairing flat spots. One video they show you how to make a tool off of common parts for taking out the flat spot. Going to build one and try to fix the flat spot and go from there!

Thanks everyone!
IMG_2664.jpeg

I agree that the front rim could likely be re-laced to the back hub, creating one good wheel. But, here's a discussion we had a few years back regarding the removal of a flat spot from an otherwise desirable rim. Either way, that Super Seven looks like a goldmine of cool parts.

https://ratrodbikes.com/threads/how-can-you-get-out-flat-spots-from-a-rim.97037/
Yes great parts bike if I go that way? Still undecided. Going to fix the problems and go from there. Not real thrilled about the blue on this one but too nice to repaint!

Your fork looks like a forged fork so a sideways bend is not such a problem as long as it is a small bend. You should be able to bend it true and it will remain quite strong. If the headtube was bent or the legs bent back or forward I would be more leery of using it. Hollow tube forks can't take much bend in any direction with their legs because they will start to buckle. I've bent Schwinn forged forks back to normal that were bent to the side and never had any problems afterwards. I like this series of Schwinn bicycles and the 7 speed Nexus makes it into a sweet cruiser.

Made a tool to get the flat spot out. Worked great!

Spent about $15 making the tool and two hours removing dent and truing the rim.

Could not ask for better results.

Got it all back together, went for a mile run and no problems. Bike rides and handles great!

Happy and I do believe this Super Seven is a keeper!

IMG_2666.jpeg
IMG_2669.jpeg
IMG_2671.jpeg

Interesting. I have been trying master the art of wheel building. Lost count but have probably built or rebuilt 20ish wheels. I thought you were supposed to adjust spoke tension to take care of flat spots. But I have a flat spot on a wheel now that I have had no luck with. The rim is probably 50 years old. I was starting to think it was unsalvageable. Might have to try this.

Well, there ya' go. Often, the hardest part of a job is mustering the confidence to take that first step.

TwoJs, spoke tension can pull a rim toward the hub, but it can't push it away. There is a natural limit to how far a flat spot will respond without mechanical intervention being applied. I'm really happy for Rayolamp's success here, and I hope it will encourage others.

Made a tool to get the flat spot out. Worked great!

Spent about $15 making the tool and two hours removing dent and truing the rim.

Could not ask for better results.

Got it all back together, went for a mile run and no problems. Bike rides and handles great!

Happy and I do believe this Super Seven is a keeper!

View attachment 236240View attachment 236241View attachment 236242
Great idea. I fix bikes for less fortunate souls and do run into this issue. Going to build one of these flat rim rounders next time I get one.

Latest posts

Back