Flight liner serial numbers / paint color?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I have the bike stripped down and trying to pick out colors. Do the serial numbers tell me colors year or what style badges it had? 502 463010 897771 is what i can tell the numbers are. I am replacing wheels with alum. and not using the fenders. Are there places to post parts? Thanks for your help
DSC04872.jpg

The 502 is on all bikes that Murray built for Sears, of the other two number- one is a sequential serial number and the other is the Sears catalog number. I don't remember which is which. If you can can get someone to differentiate them for you (several of our fellow ratters can help you there) you can take the catalog number and cross reference it with the old catalogs to find a year and possibly the color combo on the original bike. You can post parts in the For Sale forum if you are wanting to part with them. Post some pics of the bike and there are some clues as to the year that can be seen from the chain guard and rack.

46301 indicates a 63-64 (and possibly later) Flightliner model. Earlier models have a "JC Higgins" decal in that oval indent in the side of the tank. Later ones just say 'Sears', as they phased out using the JCH name. The boy's versions were all candy apple red, girl's were blue or teal. The chainguard would have been chrome, with the lower half painted white, with the Flightliner name in block letters across it. -Adam

Back