FlightLiner Blue

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the highlighted razor edge! I might steal that idea if that’s ok?

Here is how it turned out. The sun is bright and causing a bit of glare in the pic. I didn’t have gloss white. Might need to do a coat of gloss white on dropouts or maybe a gloss clear.

C2BD185D-5B6E-43A8-B871-5DBD7BFE7A2E.jpeg

What do you think?

I’m stunned on the success with citri-strip!

Don’t throw it away! You can keep using it a few times.

The citra-strip is a jelly. Not sure how you could re-use it. I use a paintbrush to slap it all over the paint. Wait a few hours and the paint should just scrape off. Sometimes I use a bucket of warm water and sponge, and sometimes I get out the pressure washer and blast the paint off. Usually have to repeat the process a few times to get all the paint. Works well, and it smells like oranges therefore it must be safe!

Not a ton of progress. I’ve been distracted with a couple other bike projects, but I am confident this will come together. I am converting the ladybug from the last build off into a klunkerish bike. That one is actually kind of exciting and I will post pics when done.

What is important is the ladybug had the original fork for this frame. So it is now available. It has the proper struts.

A couple pics and then a couple probing comments/questions.

4661D873-B828-4059-9CC9-93C9E4080718.jpeg

01F66B15-0AF2-4CC9-ADB8-833852D437B9.jpeg

I think my plan of making the dropouts the focal point might be working???

I have two forks. I will paint the other blue so I can try on both black and blue.

The rear rack needs to be painted. I have a couple other shades of blue. Do I try a different shade of blue? What about on the fork?

I have been slowly cleaning parts. However, am considering just leaving them kind of lightly crusty. I kind of want it to be obvious that the bike has a history.

I need to build a wheel on the bendix and will probably build a matching 26in wheel for the front. Pictured is a 24in wheel.

One technique I have used for the 'vintage clean' look, a bit of what you are looking for here I think, is to just clean off the loose surface rust of the part, not the discoloration or rust that might be imbedded in the metal. Then just do a 'freshen' spray with your color over the top of that.

My latest best example would be the handlebars for Midriff-ter. Originally really heavy RaT-ina applied, but when my focus shifted on the overall look, I used a 50/50 mix of water and white vinegar and a #0000 steel wool pad (and a 300 grit wet/dry sandpaper in heavy places) to get it back down to mostly metal with a bit of my work still showing. Then I just sprayed a Satin Black from about 4 feet away on to the bars. Not trying for full coverage, leaving the 'top' of the tubes less covered, like time and use had taken it's toll.

So they went from this:

342536876_185873334366029_8704395093942064495_n.jpg

To this:

346096342_6184177471668866_6408216446236163268_n (1).jpg

I really dig your white 'tail fins' and your paint ideas! Something I have yet to do on a build is to use a monochromatic paint scheme where you have multiple shades of the same color on the same bike. Here is a great example of that by my friend George Francis:

george francis.jpg

Throw one more shade of green on those rims ^ and it would really pop! Check out the Electra bikes line for their use of painted rims on bikes since the early 2000's.

The citra-strip is a jelly. Not sure how you could re-use it. I use a paintbrush to slap it all over the paint. Wait a few hours and the paint should just scrape off. Sometimes I use a bucket of warm water and sponge, and sometimes I get out the pressure washer and blast the paint off. Usually have to repeat the process a few times to get all the paint. Works well, and it smells like oranges therefore it must be safe!
I have a container that I set parts in with citrus strip. Keep a cover on it and you can use it a few times. Buying the jug rather than the spray is best.

Turns out i do not have the correct spindles for these pedals. Mine are all for 3 piece cranks.

Current status of build in below pictures.

AC46BFE2-ED28-4E31-ADC3-FD139B9B48EA.jpeg
C2FBA171-506D-45C9-B6ED-155429D9232F.jpeg
B11A2324-8ED4-42F2-BE5D-CA9C250F82E5.jpeg
2AF7CE7B-C95C-41FA-957C-C6EC7C022408.jpeg

I am considering removing the rear rack for a more simple look.

I still need to build a 26in front wheel. I have a matching white tire.

I need to paint the axle bolts and maybe touch up paint on the dropouts.

Attachments

• FF5A50B3-9F3A-41F7-AE2C-D62AEC34B208.jpeg
    FF5A50B3-9F3A-41F7-AE2C-D62AEC34B208.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 0

Looks great. I really liked the rear rack! -if you could match the rack color to the frame color (Maui blue?) and leave the black supports to match the front truss, I think that’s would ‘round the bike out’. (Of course modify the rub)

some nice details to add would a be leather seat bag off the back, maybe a cool headlight on the front….. grips for your bars… or flip the bars and put on bar tape?

just throwing out ideas!

Finally a head badge could be as simple as a decal from your favorite beverage, sports team, food, restaurant or car care product.

finally, I’m scratching my head on those holes in your seat stay! I’d put a nut and a bolt in there to just add metal!

Great work on the cleanup and paint. Looks great.
One suggestion for the rear rack is to separate the actual rack from the lightning bolt brackets and just use the braces by themselves. @KOTA did that with one of his old builds years ago. It would balance out well with the front braces.

Latest posts

Back