Fork and stem help?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put a new fork, stem, and bars on my Klunker. The stem came with this little doodad. It's all metal. What is the best way to install this so I don't ruin it? Thanks.
20230612_105029.jpg
20230612_105017.jpg
20230612_105039.jpg

That little 'doodad' consists of three pieces--a cap, a bolt, and a star-fangled nut. There is a special tool for driving the star nut into the new fork's steerer tube to a specific depth. The cap and bolt are then installed and used to set the pre-load tension of the entire bearing stack.

Here's a vid from Rob Jacobs that shows how to install it without the tool.

Thanks everyone for the help. So it probably wouldn't be a good idea to take the bike for a spin tomorrow morning having not yet installed this?
So just relying on the 2 stem pinch bolts? Possible, yes......... advisable, no

I used a 7/16 long socket like he did in the video set down to 15mm. I tightened this up first, snug, then the two bolts on the stem. Easy peasy!

I've got just a hair of play if I push forward on the bars. Is this normal?

20230615_103504.jpg

I used a 7/16 long socket like he did in the video set down to 15mm. I tightened this up first, snug, then the two bolts on the stem. Easy peasy!

I've got just a hair of play if I push forward on the bars. Is this normal?

View attachment 236758
You should not have any play. Is the stem flush with the top of the steer tube? Or is it slightly recessed from the top of the stem

The stem is flush with the top of the steer tube.
So my first guess is that your tapered stem cap is not sitting tight to the stem and doing its job. You probably need another spacer underneath the stem to raise it up or you will need to trim just a hair off the steer tube. The steer tube should sit just shy of the top of your stem. This gives the stem cap room to compress down and push down onto it as it seats

So my first guess is that your tapered stem cap is not sitting tight to the stem and doing its job. You probably need another spacer underneath the stem to raise it up or you will need to trim just a hair off the steer tube. The steer tube should sit just shy of the top of your stem. This gives the stem cap room to compress down and push down onto it as it seats
Aaaaah......got it. I'll add a spacer. Thank you for the help!

Back