Formula SAE

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In addition to constantly working on old bikes, I also work on Western Washington University's Formula SAE racing team. It's a completely student run program where each year students design and build a formula one styled racing car. This is some footage of our first drive day, a little late as we head to international competition in California in two weeks! The car is a carbon fiber monocoque with a steel rear subframe powered by a Honda 600cc F4I engine. I mostly do composite work, and right now I'm working hard to get sidepods made for this thing within the week. Since I've learned a heck of a lot about composites from the team I'd like to eventually start making some of my own carbon bike parts, but I plan on starting simple like a carbon tank plate for my Roadmaster.

Here's the footage of us testing last sunday, it was a great success for a first drive day.

This is also why I'm single/have no social life. But it's completely worth it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUoatw7D7Gc

3584706258_fc017a4fa7.jpg

3584706328_0942c59a10.jpg

The car is geared to around 90, it could go faster, but our competition track doesn't allow for much higher speeds, it's more based on handling. But 90 is plenty fast when your an inch off the ground with the intake in one ear and the exhaust in the other!

Actually our competition is loosely based around designing a car for the average joe weekend racer, so in theory anybody could own one if they were to go into production. Except they usually end up being really expensive, especially when they are build with carbon monocoques.

Back