Four bikes for $20

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
So I checked out this CL ad:
http://sacramento.craigslist.org/bik/2793992407.html

...and here is what I came away with. Each bike was $5.00.

CIMG2345.jpg

The MTB is an Open Road but It has (or appears to have) a lugged frame. Either way I thought it would be a good candidate for a 26" BMX.
CIMG2346.jpg

This china Schwinn I thought had a cool frame. Its aluminum and I can picture it turned into a clean, no decal, no gyro stem, no frills, polished, simple little BMX.
CIMG2349.jpg

Specialized Fatboy.. I'm pretty sure these cost a lot more than $5 when new. I have the seat, & I'll go through it and probably flip it.
CIMG2347.jpg

Finally this Schwinn 14" kids bike I thought was just too cool. Probably made during the last years of Chicago Schwinn. This is going into storage for my future kiddos.
CIMG2350.jpg

CIMG2353.jpg

Schwinn 26 on the sprocket.
CIMG2351.jpg

LarzBahrs said:
I saw that post a while back to, how were the pickins out there, pretty slim?
Ya pretty slim as far as anything worth making rideable or even parts bikes. He's not kidding when he says there's a lot of dept store bikes, next, magna, etc. If I was to get more, I'd go for the MTBs... You should check it out. Real nice guy.

The MT1800 bike was made in Korea, and was a decent bike for its time (I had one).

Were there any cruisers in the hoard? Were many of the adult bikes in ridable condition, or would they need tubes and tires? I ask because my friends are always looking for beater bikes, and for $5 for a rider, that would be great.. but if new rubber is needed, then not as exciting.

clerkkent said:
The MT1800 bike was made in Korea, and was a decent bike for its time (I had one).

Were there any cruisers in the hoard? Were many of the adult bikes in ridable condition, or would they need tubes and tires? I ask because my friends are always looking for beater bikes, and for $5 for a rider, that would be great.. but if new rubber is needed, then not as exciting.
There was no cruisers. But definitely some better MTBs in rideable condition. I suggest going over to take a look before they go to scrap metal.
The collection was his grandfathers. I guess he would pick them up at yard sales and flea markets. After he passed away, his son is now taking on the task of "clearing out" the property.

Latest posts

Back