Frame weld repair question please help a new guy

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hello,

I hope this is the correct forum to post this question. I am pretty new to the forum and ratrod bikes.

Recently acquired a 1934 Colson frame and am planning my build and was having a good old time dreaming about it.

Then I opened the package I received. There is a crack/break in the rear seat stay (correct term?). Hopefully the photos will clarify what I am trying to describe.

Here is the crack/break.

p1369731062-4.jpg

Here is what it looks like when I gently hold the rear seat stays together where they should be.

p1369731078-4.jpg

So what I need to know is will this be repairable?

If yes, will it be safe and sound after a quality repair is completed?

The rest of the frame looks really sound and I want to make this my long term bicycle project.

I have to know it will be safe after being repaired. I am 6'3" 210 and plan on doing a lot of riding on this bike.

I will be willing to have a professional repair it as long as it will be as good as new.

Any input or advice will be greatly appreciated from this experienced bike community.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Sincerely,

Nick

Repairable = yes

Safe = yes

more than likely that joint was originally brazed, I bet if you clean it real good using a torch and a wire brush to get it back to bare metal, then a good re-brazing of that joint and it will be as good as new.

You can braze that up and it will be as good as new.

Ratfink is right, bring it to bare metal first. This is the most important. Use a lot of flux too.

They are both right. It could be welded and be a little stronger, but with brass in the pores of
the metal there would need to be more metal removed and that would weaken it. Find someone to
braze it back and it should be good as new.

Ratfink1962,Skidmark, and Uncle Stretch:

Thank you very much for taking the time to answer my questions. I feel 100% better about the bike project now.

Working with a local bike professional builder/welder and he is confident it will be just as you guys told me.

It should be 100% safe and sound after the repair is done.

I want to thank you for taking the time to help and make me feel welcome. I really appreciate it.

This is a great community you have and I hope to continue learning from all of you. Have a great 2013.

Thanks again,

Nick

Latest posts

Back