Free frame and hub

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday I spotted a rather large road frame sitting in a friend's back yard. I had been keeping my eye out for a large road frame (I'm tall) so I could have a go at building a hipster bike. I started looking at it and my friend said "Do you want that? It's yours, take it! Wait, I've got a wheel, also. Here it is."

So I got a frame, fork, stem, a set of SR aluminum cranks (165mm length, weird), and a busted wheel with the dirtiest Sturmey Archer hub on the Universe (seems to be in good shape) for free. High five!

dsc02864fe6.jpg

Here's the fun part...

Wait for it...

Wait for it...

It's Canadian!

dsc02865og6.jpg

It's got a "Made in/ Fabriquée au Canada" sticker! After my recent Swedish and Austrian finds, I've now got a transatlantic adition to my jet-setting garage. :) Couldn't find any serial numbers or markings.

Hugo

Can't beat free. Hopefully the rust has not frozen up the seat post or stem. Crazy about the Canadian bike.

I hammered the seat post a bit and it moved. The stem seems totally stuck, though. I've started the WD-40 flowing.

Hugo

At least the seat post moves. I had to hacksaw one cause all other methods failed. :( :(
I had a stuck stem on another frame but didnt care about the fork so I cut the stem in half so the fork could be removed from the frame.

"Canadian.....Eh??" :mrgreen:

Hugo said:
I hammered the seat post a bit and it moved. The stem seems totally stuck, though. I've started the WD-40 flowing.

Hugo
i had the same thing some months ago - i guess the wegde inside is stuck :arrow: hit the bolt of the stem from above! then it should move!

Nickname said:
hit the bolt of the stem from above! then it should move!
That was the first thing I did. :wink: The whole stem must be seized to the inside of the fork.

Hugo

You really needed to find one that said "Made in Iowa" for true revenge Hugo...ha ha.

You also left out the part about it being in your friend's barn.

Hugo said:
It's Canadian!

So that's where I left it!

Cool find -- that would make a killer fixie

As for the reluctant stem, douse it with a good penetrating oil (WD40 is not a penetrating oil BTW), let it soak awhile, repeat. In the worse case scenario, you can always cut the stem and remove the forks (as mentioned above). Unfortunately, You would have to replace the forks with this method. (been down that road myself)

-Mp

Multipass said:
Hugo said:
It's Canadian!

So that's where I left it!

Cool find -- that would make a killer fixie

As for the reluctant stem, douse it with a good penetrating oil (WD40 is not a penetrating oil BTW), let it soak awhile, repeat. In the worse case scenario, you can always cut the stem and remove the forks (as mentioned above). Unfortunately, You would have to replace the forks with this method. (been down that road myself)

-Mp
speaking of stuck stems.. did you ever get the one out of that "iowa" bike I sent you Multipass?

Hugo said:
GIMPYBMXER said:
hey hugo....... what a HIPSTER bike????
I think it's a fixed gear/single speed bike built by someone who wants to look cool and trendy. All fixies/ss bikes are called hipster bikes by a lot of people. See here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01TPK7ChLmA
http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=186100

Hugo
I like Make, but they barely included any info in that vid.

But yeah, hipster bikes are fun, I just finished one and it's a blast.

mastershake916 said:
Hugo said:
GIMPYBMXER said:
hey hugo....... what a HIPSTER bike????
I think it's a fixed gear/single speed bike built by someone who wants to look cool and trendy. All fixies/ss bikes are called hipster bikes by a lot of people. See here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01TPK7ChLmA
http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=186100

Hugo
I like Make, but they barely included any info in that vid.

But yeah, hipster bikes are fun, I just finished one and it's a blast.

hahahah, that utube guy has lots of cool projects!!!! i just built one of those too, only its sneaky......... its a three speed hahahaha, looks like it tho! so i guess im cool now......... or HIP right????
l_0f3521f562b79b15682b914717cd8269.jpg

Back