Free is GOOD !!!! :)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
This is another CL find from a couple of months ago..These were listed for $50 each so I went right over. When I got there I saw that the bikes were way more rusty than the photos showed..I told the guy I was not interested due to the heavy rust. He told me that I was the only one that had called about the bikes, he was moving and needed to get the stuff out of the garage. He said I could have them for FREE if I just took them away!!!! I was able to salvage the Columbia springer fork, the truss rod setup and the fender skirts..
Now - can anyone provide me with some info on how to convert the girls springer to a boys bike??? Not sure where to get a tool to cut the proper threads on the fork tube..

Neat finds. Railrider on the musclebike forum has the tool to rethread fork tubes. He posts on here too but he is more active on the other site.
Good luck.
Pat

The_Black_Monark said:
Too bad, wonder if that Floating Hub could be salvaged...?
Well I did salvage the rear rack, columbia chain guard, fender skirts and attached chain guard, truss rod setup, springer forks and a very cool fender light from the elign...then I see the reply from Black Monark about the floating hub...hmmmm...I didnt know what a Floating Hub was..so did a little research....ohhh so thats a floating hub!!! I did save that and will try to clean it up..according to what I read these types of hubs are rare????

I'd say they're less common than the Elgin front air-cooled hubs, and they sure are cool.
I've had a few over the years, and can send pics of the internals as needed. I don't think I have any parts tho.
You might get lucky and be able to save things like bottom bracket, hubs, etc.
Those bottom brackets, headsets, etc were made very very well bitd and they don't make 'em like that anymore, so spares are good to have.
You might consider hanging those carcasses up somewhere inside for a bit, rather than tossing them out right away.

Great score for free.
You can send me the Columbia chainguard to recoup your investment. :p

Thanks for all the comments....as far as selling parts...right now I am going to hold on to this stuff..I am fairly new to this great hobby ( or is it a sport? :)) I am slowly building my inventory and have found that having extra parts on hand to use on other builds is a good thing...If I do decide to sell anything my RRB fellow members will be the first to know..

I have the same fork on my Build Off 8 bike ( mine too was a girls fork )
Check out my thread how I dealt with it :wink:

Thanks for the link to your build junknutz. my problem is that I do not have a welder or the necessary skills. But I can cut the tube and cut new threads if only I can find the proper thread cutter.... :|

Back