Free Spirit & Frankenstein

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A co-worker of my wife's was cleaning out his shed and getting rid of a couple of bikes. She told him that I would take them and I was thinking mid-school mountian bikes or 10-speed roadies. Then she came home from work one day and told me one of the bikes is a 50's Schwinn that was the co-workers as a child and had been painted a few times. This is what I got:

DSCF3740.jpg

DSCF3741.jpg

According to the serial # - B37011 - I believe that it is a pre-1948 model. From what I read the attached kickstand was released in 1946. I looked at the 1946 catalog but didn't recognize the frame. So I'm thinking 1947. If anyone has any more info or perhaps a 1947 catalog scan I would appreciate a hook-up.

DSCF3739.jpg

DSCF3746.jpg

AS seat binder bolt

DSCF3744.jpg

Schwinn Grips and Pedals

DSCF3742.jpg

After market Sting-Ray Seat

DSCF3743.jpg

New Departure Skip-Tooth Hub

The other was a Puch made Sears "Ted Williams" Free Spirit with a (looks like) OBIMO leather seat made in France. Not super interesting but note the brake cable routed through the top tube. The wingnuts on the front hub are interesting too. Not sure if a date can be deciphered from the serial but i didn't look. It was getting dark.

DSCF3747.jpg

DSCF3748.jpg

DSCF3749.jpg

DSCF3750.jpg

DSCF3751.jpg

Sweet finds :D I like that first one, ND hubs, Schwinn seat...REALLY cool 8)

NICE finds - and good price, too :p

Love the skiptooth stingray, would be nice as is, ride it.

I have that exact Free Spirit, except mine has a Shimano disc brake , same color, decals, etc - if you find any info please post.

above all - enjoy :)

~ AL

Thanks for the replies;

MBblue - I'm not ready to let go of the stingray seat just yet.
Green Dragon - I also got the original manual, reciept and catalog page from the free spirit. I will post as soon as I get it scanned.

Anyone out there have any other input on the "skip-tooth stingray". I can't find any frames that math up with the skip-tooth clover chainring. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks for looking.

Back