Freecycled Fifty - Modified Saddle

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Neat tank idea, now do the fenders.

Thanks for all the compliments on the tank, I got the idea from a Japanese guy who built a drift car in Japan "USDM" style and covered one fender with US license plates. I have since seen the same treatment on some stateside cars, plus tons of rat rod cars and trucks use license plates on floor boards and door panels.

The aluminum license plates are easy to work with and all free. I have a few old non-reflective license plates made of steel, it would be just as possible to make a tank from them, but I didn't want to cut up the old plates, plus, this is a more modern mod, no reason to make it from antique plates, nobody would have made a tank out of plates back in the day.

I'm actually surprised nobody has ever made a tank from plates before, hopefully mine won't be the last.

As for license plate fenders, nope, I think it might be overkill unless I was doing a license plate theme bike, but I might tie in more license plate features.

As for license plate fenders, nope, I think it might be overkill unless I was doing a license plate theme bike, but I might tie in more license plate features.
Totally agree! It would be too much of a good thing.

Luke.

Love that tank idea!!!!
Way cool!!

Love that tank idea!!!!
Way cool!!

Thanks, I was really excited to do it, but also just waiting for the inevitable when someone says "Yeah, so-and-so did that 3 years ago!" haha

I really like this build... Way to step up the game... Got everyone thinking now...

I just hope I come up with ideas that others can use.

I don't remember anyone doing it, and I have, at one time or another, gone back through every bike in every build-off (not looking for ideas, mind you, just a curious fellow...)

I do remember Smoopy patching a hole in a Schwinn cantilever tank with a piece of metal that MAY have been a license plate, but can't remember the build name...

Rg

Last edited:
OK, I had some time this morning so I went back out to go for the tank again. Feeling a little more confident using my power tools in daylight hours, I finished the blank:
225660E0-3944-4870-A3BD-7BA23D551DFE.jpg

While I had my sander out I attacked the seat again, I think it looks much better. This is after sanding it and cleaning it with a leather conditioner:
DE878A37-FF5D-4F89-9CD5-732927DBAA37.jpg

On to the tank, in sticking with my "freecycling" theme, I got out something to make the tank:
F00A1A54-7BF4-48BD-A27C-22C81AA8A4AA.jpg

Cutting and bending:
42597A14-152F-472C-A335-97ACC2C52CB0.jpg

C0F2C86D-BE55-414E-8362-0B71EB06A93F.jpg

The wood is not inside, this is just the plates pop riveted together:
C3223627-BE56-4E6C-A443-28FED0EFD63C.jpg

I think it's a keeper.
two thumbs up....

Latest posts

Back