Fresh find...Got it home and need help with I.D. NEW PICS!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
While picking up the Screamer today I was offered this today for what I feel was a fair price but other than its Schwinn I know nothing about it. Any thoughts on model and year would be great. I should be getting it this week and would apreciate any help, Im not a Schwinn guy at all.
EDIT! Got her home and started doing a little research and now im more confused. Serial number is S317511 and on the bottom bracket so I believe that makes it a 1949. My problem is that this looks just like a Hornet but I dont think Hornets came out until '51. Also the fender light is different than the Hornets I have found but maybe just swapped out? Any Schwinn guys out there?!! -Brian
schwinn2.jpg

Here it is all cleaned up and ready for sale/trade at the Dudley Ma swap on Feb. 13th.
013.jpg

And feel free to check out my post in this thread for the other bikes I will be bringing to the swap-
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=35846

Re: Fresh find...Sort of

Way cool!

Whatever you do, don't restore it. New grease, true the wheels and thats it...

If you decide you don't have the space, I might be able to find some room at my place. :wink:

Bri-in-RI said:
Looks pretty much exact besides for the light. Thanks
Looks like the fender lamp was swapped out for a slightly newer deluxe model at one point.

Very nice score, I always loved the way Schwinn painted those back in the day, now they just throw a sticker on it :roll:
I'm with Itchybird road ready it and ride it. Most I'd do is try to find a NOS rear reflector for it.

Nice score Brian :shock: You got to hook me up with these people with all the old bikes :wink:

Re: Fresh find...Got it home and need help with I.D.

CCR said:
d-19 model ... i guess hornet just has a different ring to it, same bike different name is all

http://www.trfindley.com/flschwinn_1941 ... 50_06.html

p.s. those fender lights usually got beat up or battery rot and were often replaced, im guessing thats what happened to this one.

Very nice original survivor, the design of the way they painted is cool.

S-C-O-R-E. That is just beautiful. :shock:

Great score Brian :shock: Did that guy have any 20 inch springers :?:

SCHWINNRAY69 said:
Not that I saw but they had 3 barns that had stuff in the attics that they still havent been through totally. They also sell Lowrider parts so Im sure they have something.

For those of you in New England the place is called Yesteryear in New Bedford Ma. Dont know what they have tucked away but from what Im told they have been in business for close to 90 years and have been a Schwinn dealer for many years as well. They had a few older Schwinns and Columbias in the basemet I was in and was also told one of the attics has early 1900s stuff thats hasnt been touched in years so who knows. Cool guys and a cool place thats worth cheking out. -Brian

Bri-in-RI said:
SCHWINNRAY69 said:
Not that I saw but they had 3 barns that had stuff in the attics that they still havent been through totally. They also sell Lowrider parts so Im sure they have something.

For those of you in New England the place is called Yesteryear in New Bedford Ma. Dont know what they have tucked away but from what Im told they have been in business for close to 90 years and have been a Schwinn dealer for many years as well. They had a few older Schwinns and Columbias in the basemet I was in and was also told one of the attics has early 1900s stuff thats hasnt been touched in years so who knows. Cool guys and a cool place thats worth cheking out. -Brian
Too far for me, 2 hours and 30 mins :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: I'll let you do the looking for me :mrgreen:

I'd be all over that place in a heartbeat! You better go back. You might be missing the big score! As if the Schwinn wasn't good enough but i'm sure there is some better stuff in there too!!!!!!!

Back