Fresh Finds for an Old Find

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have recently started finding parts for a bike I picked up at a yard sale the first week of May 2010 for $25.It has been hanging in the garage until I started finding the parts that were missing to start building it up.

About a month ago an add on CL popped up for a repop Schwinn tank so I sent a response.Turns out to be someone I know.He organizes vintage cruiser rides the third Sunday of every month in Denver.Great guy and fun show/rides.Here is what I ended up with.....

8468482573_d663577c40_z.jpg

Then I saw an add here in the "For Sale" section around my birthday in January for some Schwinn Balloon Tire Fenders.Unfortunately,someone beat me to the punch.That deal didn't work out and I was lucky enough to end up with some nice,straight fenders with a new metal headlight assembly and all the guts for it.The braces are pitted but straight as an arrow.

8468467215_4aa846bcdf_z.jpg

8468474363_d12af78189_z.jpg

This is the $25 yard sale bike these parts will be going on as I found it...

8468457659_585c9719a6_z.jpg

It's a '55 Phantom :D :D I'm not a big fan of green but this bike is beautiful.The forks were probably shaped this way after someone took off the front struts at some point and rode it around like that.It had a cheap middleweight wheelset on it and a white sparkle lightweight seat.I found some Schwinn Panther fenders with the bottom half of a Rocket Ray headlight at a swap meet.The rear reflector is intact.They are real ratty and will be used for another build.Shown here with the new tank and a wipedown.

8469590090_a27b1bfc3b_z.jpg

8468507429_74d5401e57_z.jpg

8469594728_30fc64c337_z.jpg

I am chomping at the bit to get busy with this build now that I have acquired most of the major parts that make these bikes so desirable.I also have a new tail light but need the rear rack.I do have a 9 hole Schwinn rack.Don't know what carrier is appropriate for a '55.I also have a Sachs 3 speed hub with coaster brake and an S2 laced to it I may use.A set of those Jemima wheels in black may be the ticket,however :wink: I could also use a horn for the tank.Other than that,I think I have enough to get this thing started.

Oh wait.I need to finish getting my garage set up and unpacked......DOH :!: :!:

Let me know what you think or if you have some parts I need.Thanks for your comments!

Back