From the Frozen North

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well... it's decent out now (if we don't count the skeeters) but winter takes up 7 months of the year- makes it kinda tough for biking, but some of us (well- practically just me) do it year 'round although I've gotten a bit more selective about winter rides since I almost frostbit my face off.

Last Year's Festivus Pole:
December2010002.jpg

Enough of that- on to the toys. This hubmotor electric came straight from China...
005.jpg

although it really wasn't made for a galoot my size. Neither was this:
2001.jpg

but with a longer seatpost and rear shock (so the pedals would stop hitting the road) I made it work for a nice cushy daily driver.
2002.jpg

Discovering this site has awakened a long-dormant interest in bikes and custom bikes. I have several in the pipeline but will start with just a taste:
nov15001.jpg

Thanks~

The fwd was named Redneck Recumbent Mk I. It has been reworked so extensively it got a new name: Redneck Recumbent Mk II. Pics and/or a thread to follow when progress warrants it.

I spent six months over the winter in Cali a couple of years ago; gosh that was nice. I ought to do that again. The hot rod scene there is astonishing!

Apologies for the slow responses... and also for doing nothing with the fwds all summer. :roll:

I've been having too much fun playing with the electric. As noted, it wasn't made for someone my size and after 3 years I finally decided to really do something about it. After trying several combos of longer seatposts and different seats I gave up on them because the ergos remained poor... until I found the solution! That is, complete seat and post delete, and sit on the rear rack/seat!

On Day 1 of testing the rear seating, I determined it had enough potential to be pursued but it wasn't ready for prime time as all the weight was on the back wheel and the front end had become too skittish, in spite of my sitting a full 12" lower. Day 2 saw the rear seat/rack being relocated forward about 4"- ahhhh, that's the stuff- nice front end response and stability restored but even more importantly, finally I have found comfort on this thing! :D No I haven't made any rigorous tests or measurements but logically and subjectively the aerodynamic improvement from my low stance has helped speed and range.

Not content, the quest for further efficiency gains has continued. Stage 3 saw the stock 10.5 lb 17" scooter front wheel and 55 psi tire swapped out for an alloy 3.5 lb 20" BMX rim and 65 psi freestyle tire assy, as my sources say bicycle tires generally have half the rolling resistance of motorcycle tires. Again, subjectively, the way the bike responded seems to validate that notion. :) The steering response went from dead to lively too... a bit too lively actually; didn't have enough self-centering feel for carefree cruising. Oh, what to do...

Here I am at Stage 4: the 20"er is off in favor of a 24" MTB alloy and with it came all plusses except for one: the tire is a knobby so street behavior has been compromised as expected. All the other stuff is better though- still light, still lively, but now with good centering feel (more rake) and the larger diameter rolls more smoothly over bumps. It looks cool too especially since I relocated the fender to fit. Now I need to get a slick tire...

Back