Fundamentally Unstable Bike's Final Photo Shoot....

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my build as we speak. I bought the bike like this:

It was rusty, red and convered with registration stickers from 1964-1972. I was going to try to keep these on but just couldn't make it work with the thought process. I stripped the frame down to just bare metal, primered and shot it flat black. My buddy saw my flightliner and asked if I could make him an FU bike for the Surf Competion Give Away, so my whole plans changed. It's still flat black but here's the bike without tires and the seat were running. They are going to have a friend of theirs paint the bike for the event (logos, pinstriping, etc). I have a spring Velo Seat with a crash bar, and hoping to get a custom seat made (firewalker, wink wink).

Let me know what ya'll think, and please give me an idea for the wheels tires..... I struggling to figure it out! Thanks guys

Re: Fundamentally Unstable.com Bike

I like it! But, my opinion is the chinese lowrider (I'm assuming) parts don't do the frame justice. But it works well anyway. Why not stray a little from the lowrider-look that's becoming and run big n li'l wheels. Like a 27" road bike rim/ tire up front & a 24 or 26" 2 or 3" wide fatty in the back. Three speed hub? Use the 5 speed rear off the robbed road bike? I always like having a few gears on something that's a "sit-down" style bike. That's my opinion anyway. Still something that can be real low budget too, if that's of concern (you said it'd be given away)

Just for the record- I've used a lot of those china-made lowrider parts! Usually pleased too.

Ratpick--

I've thought about this one and part of the issue is my time constraints. I wasn't planning on building the bike in 2-3 weeks, I had plans to take my time, and slowly get this thing going. But since I'm getting paid for this build, I can't really say no. My next build is going to take me some time, and really get that vintage look.

I've also thought about using my 26'' wheels from the bike, and flat black them and put a 26x2.125 thick looking tire. IT gives a look of hugeness without a large budget for the wheels. We're trying to keep it as cheap as possible while also making it look good for a 14-25 year old who doesn't really rat rod, just wants a sick bike to ride.

Thanks again everyone, I'll post pics of the frame and artist renditioning of the bike.......

That is going to look great. If you don't mind my asking, do you have a cheap source for the springer front end or was it something you had lying around? I want to put a springer on an old Firestone I am rebuilding, but want to keep it cheap.
--Jim

Re: Fundamentally Unstable.com Bike-- FINALLY FINISHED!

I'm going to see if my buddy Jiggles can take some good pics for me...... trying to make it close to penthouse classy if you know what I mean. Thanks for the positive thoughts!

Re: Fundamentally Unstable.com Bike-- FINALLY FINISHED!

Nice work! I really dig this frame style. The SpaceLiner is the coolest frame style in my opinion, either in chrome, or painted. It's the frame that got me into old bikes. Keep it up man! :mrgreen:

Back