Genesis Onyx 29" Cruiser

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most of the stickers were not under the clear coat and I was also able to simply pull them off. I've got some new parts for my bike but don't want to put anything on until I get these decals off. lol

Salavar said:
I'm still stunned that yours were under the clear, mine were on top and it looked like a little kid applied them, they peeled off with no heat, no knife, nothing just a fingernail.

Why are you stunned? Ever since these bikes were released its been discussed that some were cleared and other not.

Re: Genesis Onyx 29

Bigdaddy772 said:
The front end came off WCC 20" chopper I cut the tubes down to fit. Those are the factory 29" wheels just painted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks nice. I miss my Onyx. Wish i had kept it for the occasional ride.

I like that front end.

After I get my current project done, Ill probably tear my Onyx down also. I really like the frame and the size, just needs better components... and I really want a 3sp...lol

Have any of you guys put a rear rack on the onyx? I bought one. don't see how it'll fit. its an mpd payload rack. its a beautiful rack and wonder if theres anyway to mount it.

Got one of these for Christmas. Mine had some kind of cool rear reflectors on it, that I haven't seen on the pics posted here. I pulled the stickers off, removed the water bottle cage, and started riding it. Rides pretty nice ! Not sure what else to do with it. I have some handlebars off of a dyno cruiser that I might swap out and I'll probably change the pedals and maybe the seat and grips. Stickers read Onex, like some of the others have mentioned.

I just picked up one on CL. Early bird gets the worm. The only problem is the handlebar stem, so I have a Dyno stem and handlebars instead, until I figure how to fix the stem. The Dyno bars are almost the same as the original. It rides almost as high as the 32" Walmart cruiser I had.

awc6ll.jpg

jayblok said:
i just noticed this 29er cruiser on craigslist with "onex" instead of "onyx"is it possibly a fake,owner claims he bought it from walmart list price at $149
PzEjo.jpg
same Walmart bike, just a slightly different name they used on some of them.

No such thing as a fake Walmart bike, that would be like making fake cubic zirconias.

I think that somewhere along the line they crossed over a copyright or trademark with the name, settled and the settlement included changing the name.

I think that is a rare dark grape krate Onex. :p
They are worth around $149 new, but over time they depreciate quite well.

Bigcam59 said:
I had an unforseen setback, shore wise. The bikerack won't hold the bike now! The tank gets in the way. If you go this route, invest in a bike beam, kind of a temporary top tube. It's usually used on girl's bikes.
p3k.jpg

This also will give you an idea on how big this thing is 8)

I kind of had the same problem when I got my stretch cruiser. I ended up getting a different style of rack that holds the bikes by the wheels. Works pretty good although it's at its limit with a 7 foot long bike.

rack_001.jpg

rack_002.jpg

jayblok said:
Yea,i arranged a test drive with the guy selling it,he let me ride it around the block a few times and it is very smooth and very big.It is still very new,he only took it out for a couple of spins.He is asking $100 for it.Do you guys think this is a good price?
More Pictures:
6K2Qj.jpg

qf0Jh.jpg
For a hundred bucks, jump on it, and ride the wheels off of it. Even if you want to get rid of it later, you can get most of your money back when you sell it. Go have fun.

JWM

Took mine for a spin today (had to track down a hubcap that flew off my car)....almost forgot how nice it rides. :D

ckdesigns69 said:
I read some good reviews on it but, one caught my eye. One fella had to contact Kent International to get some parts for his and was told that they didn't offer anything. I guess that works ok if you are going to rat one but, to keep it like it is and have to get replacement parts, you would have to go to a more expensive 29er cruiser makers. Could be an expensive bike to own in the long run. They seem to be moving off the racks so maybe in a couple years, c list will be plagued with these suckers. lol.

That's true, you can't get any parts. I made a motor bicycle out of one of these for a friend. Some how he wrecked the rear wheel. He also found out that you can't get any replacement parts from Kent. He was able to buy a whole bike from walmart for $100 though, so he used that for parts.

I wasn't a big fan of this bike though. It's so huge. It's a good bike for someone that's about 6'2.

picture.php

I just built up a 29" klunker!

I have more plans....
251420_10151341237773692_993952333_n.jpg

222615_10151341237033692_1681007308_n.jpg

4130 Moto bars off my old klunker http://bb.nsmb.com/showthread.php?t=150855
Specialized fuse bmx stem
Kona P2 4130 fork
oury grips, fsa cartridge headset.

FSA post and saddle off my old 26" 3 spd commuter. I'm gonna sell that bike to justify the wheels I'm gonna lace up for this....

It needs knobbies, BAD! I want 2.4" Maxxis ardents or Schalbe Hans Dampfs. I have a 1 2.4 ardent, 1 2.2" ardent and a 2.1 crossmark hand me downs kicking around.

The cranks need to go. They are scary flexy. I was showing the bike to a buddy, I he offered me a set of old style Shimano Saints. :wink:

Really siked on this bike, it is a blast to ride. I think it will be a fast race bike.

Latest posts

Back