grape krate restore

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

i say rare story cause i mean rare. it is the schwinn stingray grape krate bike. for those who dont know, in 1969 schwinn came out with 2 grape krates but they never made it to the showroom floors, they were only sales proposals. so far this part of the story is all that the best collector knows, what alot of collectors dont know is that some of schwinns close corporate employees saw this bike and for 6 years wanted schwinn to produce these, so in 1976 3 years after the end of the krate bikes, schwinns ceo secretly took left over parts from the warehouse and had them build 15 grape krates for his special corprate employees and gave them out to them after a xmas party. most bikes went to very happy kids that year. now keep in mind that back then no one cared about collectabilty so most of them were beat up buy kids. how do i know all this? well i just happen to know someone that lived in chicago as a kid back then and his dad worked in the corparate office. well to make a long story short, my friend had this bike new and rode it on his paper route for 4 years. thewn in 1980 he decided to paint it orange then white then candy red and make it a lowrider. thats when i meet him when he moved to ny. well he is not a collector at all but he knew i liked krates so last week i bought it from him for 300 bucks and look close at the pics and you will see the purple under that red! thank good it was hiding under that color for all these years. i also have all the paper work his dad got for the bike. they also stamped a "g" on the end of the serial # that year for these 15 special secret models. enjoy the pics and that one with me painting the frame please dont mind the flash on the camera it shows lavender but it is much darker than that in person, enjoy all new pics coming...

3K53L43M95L85Ha5Jecc1990f7f631c811c41.jpg

DSCN3911.jpg

DSCN3919.jpg

DSCN3925.jpg

DSCN3906.jpg

DSCN3929.jpg

:roll: Sorry bro, that last pic has me laughing out loud. EDIT: krazikev deleted his lat pic. See leaflet in pic below.

Just a heads up, this forum is not populated by a bunch of elementary school kids.

So, what you are saying is back in 1976 Schwinn used a picture from a 2012 Ebay listing to produce that leaflet you have pictured?

Ebay Grape Krate

T2eC16NHJIkE9qU3jc0BQsROE0ys60_57.jpg

Grape Krate on Ebay

DSCN3936_zps40f8a510.jpg

krazikev's certificate of authenticity

Still looks like a RARE Bratz Krate to me. Nice pleather cover job on the purple velvet Elvis manner.

Man I wanted to believe it till I saw the note, you did however bring a laugh to an otherwise boring day, so for that I thank you.
1. if it was done secretly why would Schwinn give out paperwork stating they did?
2. they would have printed out a form letter that would not be specific to that bike complete with serial number, production figure, and details of how the bike came to be.
3. if it was a non form letter and was written to each person individually it would read something like: Dear John Doe, we at Schwinn hope you enjoy this limited run Grape Crate bicycle and hope it brings joy and holiday cheer blah blah blah,
4. the paper shows no yellowing, tears, or anything other than being waded up a few times after it came out of the printer an hour ago.
5. Do I really need to keep going?

You don't have to lie to be cool here man, you got a cool bike, a collection of cool stuff behind it, and are building something different. That's cool enough, run with it. Just say I'm building a "what if Schwinn did this" build and go nuts.

Tater said:
:roll: Sorry bro, that last pic has me laughing out loud.

Just a heads up, this forum is not populated by a bunch of elementary school kids.

So, what you are saying is back in 1976 Schwinn used a picture from a 2012 Ebay listing to produce that leaflet you have pictured?

Ebay Grape Krate

$T2eC16NHJIkE9qU3jc)0BQsROE0ys!~~60_57.JPG

what does this picture have to do with my post? i think since you guys dont own these grapes or maybe its because this bike is so rare that it is hard to belive that you just bash it, i will end with this, the only people that need to know its real is me my friends dad who worked for schwinn at the time and his son and all the people at the spring bike show in nyc at the javit ctr. so if your all men not boys, then show face in the spring. the real deal with schwinn employees will be there. goodbye kids

I see that the forged "Document" has been removed by the original poster now that it was exposed that he stole the image on the "document" from an ebay listing.

Is this an episode of Storage Wars or American Pickers or is Paul Junior behind this hoax???

YUUUUUUUUUUUPPPPPPPPPP!

what does this picture have to do with my post? i think since you guys dont own these grapes or maybe its because this bike is so rare that it is hard to belive that you just bash it, i will end with this, the only people that need to know its real is me my friends dad who worked for schwinn at the time and his son and all the people at the spring bike show in nyc at the javit ctr. so if your all men not boys, then show face in the spring. the real deal with schwinn employees will be there. goodbye kids

This picture is relevant to your post because you posted a bogus leaflet that included a crude pasting of this image from a 2012 Ebay listing. Deleting the picture of the leaflet and pretending as though it never existed doesn’t change the fact that many eyes saw it in all of its bougusness glory. If you are going to expect folks to respect you, you are going to have to respect them. All you are doing now is being an Annoying Grape

Other forum showing this rare gem

Another one

In case you forgot what it looks like, here is the picture you deleted from your original post:

DSCN3936_zps40f8a510.jpg

Last edited:
Tater said:

The picture relevant to you post because you posted a bogus leaflet that included curde pasting of this image from a 2012 Ebay listing. Deleting the picture of the leaflet and pretending as though it never existed doesn’t change the fact that many eyes saw it in all of its bougusness glory. If you are going to expect folks to respect you, you are going to have to respect them. All you are doing now is being an Annoying Grape

Other forum showing this rare gem

In case you forgot what it looks like, here is the picture you deleted from your original post:

DSCN3936_zps40f8a510.jpg

WOW you kids went that far to computer image ( photoshop) that picture on my letter! thats pretty good, dont you have something else better to do, nice job kids.

And someone on the other forum did the exact same thing to his leaflet? Whatever he's smokin, he should share it.

Peatbog said:
Sadly, for me, I have no paperwork on my bike to prove my story...
But it is pictured in a national magazine. Rather have that super rare one of a kind limited edition eliminator krate built in the wayback machine anyday. Still one of my faves Peat.

For some reason, and maybe it's because there's so much messed up stuff going on in the USA these last few days, but this just saddens me. Maybe it's the holiday season, I don't know. I'm asking for one of the moderators to show some grace and let the guy off the hook by erasing the whole thread and just letting it go. Obviously, something just isn't right and I'm left questioning so many things. But Kev, your last pic of the final build shows you did a nice job putting that together. That's a really clean looking bike. GJBY. I'll just shake my head and won't speculate on any of the rest of it. Peace.

Edit: Oh wait! Upon further review I was mistaken by the pic Tater posted! I thought that was Kev's final pic! I'm so sorry! And even more confused! And now I've added even more reason to delete the whole thread! Now I'm embarrassed! :oops:

Back