Gravel Mixte

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I thought this bike was going to waste just hanging on the wall. I made it to look like an old mixte from many years ago, with a skiptooth chain wheel and single speed with cottered cranks. It has a bare metal frame with painted lugs.
wallhangers.jpg
wallhanger.jpg

I believe it's an 1987 frame, one of the many I found unused at a junk shop. If anyone knows how to decipher Taiwan serial numbers here it is.
serial.jpg

The wheels are 27" but I have a 700C wheelset with a SA kickback coaster hub and new 38mm tires that would go right on. I laced them up a few months ago. Then a good set of cranks are in order. The one I have is new but may be too large, gear ratio wise. I'm going to swap everything over and locate a good set of handlebars.
wheelset.jpg

Last edited:
This is the most comprehensive guide for Asian bike serial numbers:

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage/1042901-asian-serial-number-guide.html

With the top of the bottom bracket shell brazed on cable guide, its probably from the 1970s.
I've tried to use that guide, but never have had any luck with figuring it out. Too complicated or I just don't have the patience to work it out.

I did some calculations for gearing and since it will be used offroad, the gearing was way too high. The SA 2 speed is direct drive and 138%. So a 39 tooth chain wheel matched up to the original 22 tooth cog will be just about right, at 49 and 68 gear inches. Since it'a coaster, no other brake is needed.
27 Mar 24 d.jpg

Latest posts

Back