Gravity Shoot-Out

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tomorrow is our first Gravity Shoot-Out (if it ever stops raining). In addition to the racer I also threw together a gravity bike. Trying not to spend any money on this. I only had to buy the 2 bikes and 2 front tires for the racer and got all of that for less than $20. Hopefully tomorrow I'll have pics and video from the event.

gravity_bike1.jpg

Video from the trial run the other day

I had to put new tires on the racer.
pic001.jpg

gravity_racer2.jpg

skyrider said:
Those are cool.Good luck tomorrow. But I have to ask what the wd-40 is for?

My secret weapon. When I'm going as fast as gravity alone can pull me, a squirt of the stuff on to the wheel will lessen friction and I'll pull ahead of my competitor. NOS for gravity vehicles I guess.:lol:
or maybe not. It's just for the goofy factor.

The woman seemed to have the worst time with brakes. Be sure to check out the 2 videos for that. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kfyh0260oxw

I lost steering on the first run at bottom of the hill. I used the brake which only stops one wheel and it spun me around and I crashed into the guard rail. Guess I forgot to tighten the wedge bolt that held on my steering wheel.

Another guy's steering wheel came off. He raced the rest of the day holding the steering shaft first with pliers and zip ties and later vice grips.
IMG_4630.jpg

My 74 yr old Dad on my gravity bike.
100_3487.jpg

Dangratsdan on the left.
IMG_2838.jpg

This bike the grease was left out of the wheel bearings and was kept lubricated with WD40.
IMG_4666.jpg

Our friend and fellow bike enthusiast Erick (Bujo on here) on my racer. This was also a benefit for him to raise money to help pay medical bills due to his cancer.
100_3496.jpg

100_3504.jpg

100_3505.jpg

100_3509.jpg

IMG_4628.jpg

fast eddie said:
a gravity race...in wichita...I LOVE IT!!! how'd ya like the gravity bike!
fast eddie outty

Was actually kind of scary. If anything were to happen your face is pretty close to the pavement when you're in that position on that small of a bike.
Also I am using the term "Gravity bike" loosely when it comes to my bike. I'm sure I should have done some things differently but I just threw it together.

Fun times though!

fun is what its all about! i went into a haybale at about 40mph on one of my previous bikes during a california race in 2003, painful!! ill be building myself a new g-bike over the upcoming winter months, ill be making this one with some rat style! should reeally appeal to the boartracker fans...even though it wont have any pedals...it'll fast just sittin there!
fast eddie outty

Back