Grease

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not the movie.

About 12 years ago our local bike coop got a 25 pound bag of used grease. The local printer (large scale) routinely changed out the grease in their big printing press that was used for countless newspapers. It was great stuff. No signs of any contamination. We ran out a couple years ago so I've been trying out other auto greases. IMO the bike industry sells grease but there is no way the bike companies refine or engineer any grease formulas. I'm sure it's bought from the major refineries and just repackaged for bike shop sales. Here are 3 brands of auto products I've tried out.

Mystik Clear. This is very sticky stuff. So sticky some of the bike coop volunteers refuse to touch it with their bare fingers. If you drop a part, it will grab any filth nearby so you have start over.

Valvoline Multi-Vehicle red. Also very sticky, nearly as bad as the Mystik clear. Good for 1-piece cranks and coaster hubs and cheap bike headsets.

Lucas X-TR Heavy Duty Grease green. Pretty nice. Similar to Phil Wood grease but creamier. Perhaps the Phil has more air in it due to the repackaging into squeeze tubes. My local Autozone only has it in tubes. Guess I could just shoot it into the empty tub I have.

Decades ago when I worked in bike shops the standard was Campagnolo white lithium grease. Well after pulling campy hubs, bbs and headsets apart after years, it was a yellow glue. No more. Phil Wood grease was then the preferred grease. Phil Wood sold an injector kit for some bearings so it had to be free of lumps.

Grease.Mystik.clear.JPG
grease.red.jpeg
grease.green.jpeg

Latest posts

Back