Grip shift converted to suicide

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all- wanted to show the suicide shifter I made using the stock grip shifter by nexus. Here are the picts. As you can see I made the part of the handle using two layers of hard cedar. Before gluing the two pieces together I drilled the hole in one and notched it out to fit the shifter. Once glued together it was a matter of shaping the piece. I honestly didn't know what I was going to do with it until I started messing with it. My wife says it looks like something else :shock: but her mind is in the gutter half the time. :lol: What I like about this piece is I can basically attach anything to it with threads (beer tap handle, eight ball, etc.). Once completed it worked like a charm.
IMG00060-20100106-1634.jpg

IMG00059-20100105-1644-1.jpg

IMG00045-20100102-1945.jpg

IMG00048-20100102-1946.jpg

IMG00066-20100107-1618.jpg

IMG00065-20100107-1617.jpg

i can see how she could see that sounds like she is a keeper for sure! and nice shifter trick i need to try that, with such a long shifter handle do you find that it wants to shift on its own when hitting bumps? i have a cool sierra nevada tap

Actually the way I have the shifter positioned it doesn't really want to shift on its own. I imagine it might if I hit a bump. I'm wondering if I find a way to put resistance on the cable it might stiffen up the shifter. What do u think?

yeah i just put a "shiftybastard" on my shop bike

and i ordered a piece from a supplier where you can bolt on the nipple so u dont have to weld the frame

P1010418.jpg

P1010419.jpg

P1010420.jpg

just need to decide what shifter knob

thinkin good old 8ball tho

and red pinstripin of the shop name "LOCAL" on back of the seat

sicnick said:

and i ordered a piece from a supplier where you can bolt on the nipple so u dont have to weld the frame

P1010419.jpg

please tell me you can provide me with the information i need to get that same part to relocate my shifter without welding.

I like that idea.Next thing on my list is a 3speed.I just traded a 7 speed away,in hopes of aquireing a 3speed.Keep looking on craigslist for a complete bike already set up with a 3speed.

The one thing I have always wondered about these Nexus shifter conversions is whether they end up feeling a bit on the flimsy side when you are shifting gears. It would seem that by adding that much length/torque to the shifter by extending a post out that far, it would be easy to break the plastic Nexus shifter mechanism if you weren't careful with it.

sicnick said:

Could you please share where you got the shifter and the "bolt on piece"? I'd like to do that to my bike.

Thanks!

cman said:
Nice job on the wood fab version.

Here is the link for the Shifty beep version.
http://chopaderos.com/forums/index.php?topic=121.0

Thank you! It looks like it might be a little complicated to get one, but I've given it a shot. Fingers crossed! My frame is aluminum so I like the clamp on idea. I really like what legburner did with weld on, looks stout! Is there another shifter similar to the Shifty B that anyone knows about?

not really that i know of he does those custom and i wondered how long that pic would last :lol:

yeah he is a friend that fabs them

email me and when i get more for my new shop i'll let ya know

I have the adapters at the shop too to go with it if your frames are finished

Rat Rod said:
The one thing I have always wondered about these Nexus shifter conversions is whether they end up feeling a bit on the flimsy side when you are shifting gears. It would seem that by adding that much length/torque to the shifter by extending a post out that far, it would be easy to break the plastic Nexus shifter mechanism if you weren't careful with it.

i mean with the leverage the little play you feel in the gripshift normal position is of coarse magnifified by the length of the shifter

sicnick said:
yeah he is a friend that fabs them

email me and when i get more for my new shop i'll let ya know

I have the adapters at the shop too to go with it if your frames are finished

sicnick, I sent you an email, thanks!

Back