GYROBIKE

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have seen that before. Should be a big help for those kids lacking some coordination. I wonder if there would be any negatives to putting those on any bike besides weight.

Okay I'm watching all the "ghost riding the whip" type antics, and thinking to myself that any decent ($400+) bike with 70 psi in the tires will do that. then they show the no handed bit and I think about how with a little practice I could probably ride no-handed to a trackstand on my track bike (or my fixed MTB) and it occurs to me that this device is just a replacement for SKILL. What is wrong with having skill? Is it no longer cool to be smart or adept?

I don't even think it could be an aid to those beginning to ride a bike because it would prevent you from learning how to balance on your own.

May be good for those who frequent bars.

The Idea of a bicycle is to go faster that at a walk. The only time that I can ride 2 mph is going up a steep hill with a 32 ring in front and a 34 in the rear. The extra weight would make it go even slower and I would not make it up the hill.

No cars...

I was eyeballing this for my 5 year old daughter.

Seems like it would be a good alternative to training wheels.

I'm no expert in physics so I can't say whether it would help or hinder future riding abilities.

I think it's a great training aid!(and drunkerd enabler!) :wink:
L8 EM

I love tecnology. That is cool.

I think this is a bad idea as far as kids. They need to take a few falls while learning to ride, part of riding a bike is learning how to crash and not get seriously injured. If you don't learn simple basics like tuck and roll you could get seriously hurt on a bike. The first thing you learn in dirt jumping or mtb riding is how to bail safely. I think this wheel also takes out the risk (fun) in bike riding. If there's no risk of wrecking, why even ride?

On a side note, I would like to see a wasted bar patron ride this thing. In my mind I just see some half dead guy slouched over the bars not even awair of what he's doing but riding in a perfectly straight line. Hilarious

necessaryevil said:
I think this is a bad idea as far as kids. They need to take a few falls while learning to ride, part of riding a bike is learning how to crash and not get seriously injured. If you don't learn simple basics like tuck and roll you could get seriously hurt on a bike. The first thing you learn in dirt jumping or mtb riding is how to bail safely. I think this wheel also takes out the risk (fun) in bike riding. If there's no risk of wrecking, why even ride?

On a side note, I would like to see a wasted bar patron ride this thing. In my mind I just see some half dead guy slouched over the bars not even awair of what he's doing but riding in a perfectly straight line. Hilarious
Your absolutly right

I dont know where i would be without my bicycle related injurys

Interesting.

This thread has had some pretty funny comments... It IS the perfect gift for the person who enjoys the occasional pub crawl! I'm in agreement with those here that mention a "fall" and learning balance is a good thing. As a motorcyclist (Yamaha R1) it's technical topic/subject discussed amongst the OEM's and racers... I can see it being a useful piece in the safety of those bicyclist making banzai/speed downhill runs... It may save a few from crashing-n-burning!?

Clark

Shooot... I could crash it

Sleeper Sedan said:
MonsterMetal said:

Well, we all have special talents! Some of these talents come naturally, others are learned. :lol:

Clark

Yeah.... Im not sure which one of those categories my innate ability to pile up two wheel contraptions would come... Ive been doing it for 35+ years... First knee surgery at 12 (couldn't get the wheels on the KX 80 I was riding pointed back towards the earth after a table top) Last crash is when i wrecked my Penny Farthing and munched the wheel.... I would guess I have had a total of someplace around a 100 stiches and several casts from my various two wheel'd escapades..... Id like to think there's nothing I couldn't crash if I put my mind to it!

And I would have to agree about crashing being part of learning... As a parent of three boys... The youngest 12 and the oldest 17 in March... I can understand the "Dad" part of the equations.... But learning to pick your self back up is more important than getting on in the first place. Life is full of situations that are challenging and dangerous. In my opinion we have done huge damage to the young people of the good ol USofA by over protecting them. Kids today have been "protected" to the point that they either don't understand that things can go wrong and you can get hurt or they are just scared of everything... Exposing children to "reasonable" risk allows them to learn good decision making skills.... My 2 cents Mama might have a diffrent view!

MonsterMetal said:
Sleeper Sedan said:
MonsterMetal said:

Well, we all have special talents! Some of these talents come naturally, others are learned. :lol:

Clark

Yeah.... Im not sure which one of those categories my innate ability to pile up two wheel contraptions would come... Ive been doing it for 35+ years... First knee surgery at 12 (couldn't get the wheels on the KX 80 I was riding pointed back towards the earth after a table top) Last crash is when i wrecked my Penny Farthing and munched the wheel.... I would guess I have had a total of someplace around a 100 stiches and several casts from my various two wheel'd escapades..... Id like to think there's nothing I couldn't crash if I put my mind to it!

And I would have to agree about crashing being part of learning... As a parent of three boys... The youngest 12 and the oldest 17 in March... I can understand the "Dad" part of the equations.... But learning to pick your self back up is more important than getting on in the first place. Life is full of situations that are challenging and dangerous. In my opinion we have done huge damage to the young people of the good ol USofA by over protecting them. Kids today have been "protected" to the point that they either don't understand that things can go wrong and you can get hurt or they are just scared of everything... Exposing children to "reasonable" risk allows them to learn good decision making skills.... My 2 cents Mama might have a diffrent view!

Dude! Reading your 2nd paragraph I couldn't agree more. "Reasonable" risk is the key word... How in the world my brother and I survived our youth I'll never know but, we did. Lucky I guess. :lol: And yes, perpetuating the gene pool by saving us from ourselves... <shaking my head> A little common sense goes a long ways.

Clark

If this device helps a bike to be upright and go straight, how does it behave when you lean and turn? Does it fight you at all?

Back