UNLIMITED Hackarosa

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That chariot sidecar is wicked!
Since it is sort of a Mad Max meets Wildcat, you should change the name to Mad Catz :D
Have fun in Hawaii brother!!

That chariot sidecar is wicked!
Since it is sort of a Mad Max meets Wildcat, you should change the name to Mad Catz :D
Have fun in Hawaii brother!!
Stopped by an art museum shop on the North Shore and this was hanging there. I might rent a bike and try out the improved Sunset Beach bike path.
Hawaii.jpg

Last edited:
1719614444650.png

At the Pearl Harbor Aviation Museum, I found my plane! I also looked for a WW2 bike there, none to be found. They have most everything else in their working hangar. I should have tried to donate my 42 Hawthorne before I moved away in 2020.
wildcat2.jpg

48942_196341f4adfb8764b5556b7f965ba1ab.jpg

Just got back from a great vacation. I was able to finally get to my old office on the Missouri. We got there early and it wasn't busy so I got to see a lot. I did a lot of plotting of charts at that table in 1987. We also saw the aviation museum there on Ford Island (earlier post).
office 30 Jun 24.jpg

Then the wife and I visited a bunch of foreign ships that were there for the RIMPAC exercise. The New Zealand ship was the best of the bunch.

1720745227993.jpeg

If you visit Oahu and can only make one stop, Waimea Falls is the best bet. A 3/4 mile walk and back through a botanical garden.

waimea.jpg

Back to work on the bike this morning. I used all my clamps and mocked it up. I needed to see how the front brace will sit and also I see the need for one more brace so it doesn't bend in the middle.
12 Jul f.jpg

12 Jul c.jpg

I rolled it back and forth in the garage and it doesn't pull left or right so It might be aligned right. I clamped on the handlebars for a look.

12 Jul e.jpg

I tried the handlebar lock thing. I'll have all 3 wheels locked because the other two have the drum brake locks.

12 Jul lock.jpg

Attachments

• 12 Jul lock.jpg
    12 Jul lock.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 0
Welcome back from paradise. That is pretty cool that you got to see your old workspace on the ship.
This road warrior beast is getting better all the time!

Waimea Falls

Definitely worth the visit. My dad and I rented Harleys to ride up Waimea canyon many moons ago. The bikes handled like hogs but it was still a ton of fun.

The build is looking great! I like the handlebars on both the bike and the side hack. That's going to be a fun rig to play with when you get it done. 😎

I think a name change is warranted.

I used the name Triple Threat that came from a name of a sailboat project I had about 12 years ago. I modified a Hobie 16 so it could carry more passengers by adding another hull in the middle. The extra hull came from a discarded Gcat 5.7 meter catamaran. It worked well but was very stable and directional, I had to power down to turn. At over 15 knots it wanted to stay in a straight line which was fine. It was sold when I moved to the Philippines back in 2014. We always has a lot of campers down at Kingsley Lake who wanted to take a ride on it.

1936763_127003406736_2414871_n.jpg
11887905_10153529646471737_3444888038346572428_n.jpg

I'm open to suggestions for a name. I have a few in mind but haven't thought of a good one yet. Maybe Trifury.

Last edited:
I think a name change is warranted.

I used the name Triple Threat that came from a name of a sailboat project I had about 12 years ago. I modified a Hobie 16 so it could carry more passengers by adding another hull in the middle. The extra hull came from a discarded Gcat 5.7 meter catamaran. It worked well but was very stable and directional, I had to power down to turn. At over 15 knots it wanted to stay in a straight line which was fine. It was sold when I moved to the Philippines back in 2014. We always has a lot of campers down at Kingsley Lake who wanted to take a ride on it.

View attachment 272935View attachment 272936

I'm open to suggestions for a name. I have a few in mind but haven't thought of a good one yet. Maybe Trifury.

'Three Point Conversion'

It's going to be painted gold like the rims. Maybe a gold themed name.

I just had 20' of 1" angle iron show up. It's sold in 20' lengths only. That should be more than enough. I figured on a little over 8' for what I need, but I need more to have a V shaped front to the sidecar. My shop is 24' long. I'll be cutting tomorrow.

14 Jul bar.jpg

Triple Lindy

Back To School Summer GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

Another name for a sidecar is a Hack.
The latest Mad Max movie gave you inspiration.
How about MadHax?

HACK TUAH
:D :D :D :D

I remeasured everything and marked off the angle iron for cutting. I'll use 13 feet of the 20 foot piece.

15 Jul 24 layout.jpg

That took until 9am, so it'll wait until tomorrow for cutting. I also checked to see how much webbing I had for the sides and front. I have just enough and I'll cut those out tomorrow also.

15 Jul 24 webbing.jpg

Hunger took priority. Chocolate chip pancake. Only one is needed for a decent bfast.

449862219_3680145405584130_6310512055283165554_n.jpg

I had to attend a wedding yesterday, in the Mayor's office. A simple cermonyn then a feast at a local restaurant. No work was done, and it's good to know the locals, like the police chief and mayor.

I'm going to have three attachment points , one up front and two on the side, so I removed the part that goes around thre rear wheel. That piece of square stock will be used for the brace on the side. And the rear wheel is accessible.
17 Jul 24 f.jpg

I checked the pedal clearance and it was wrong, so I had to chop out part of the brace so I'd have foot room. The piece I took out will work as the upper brace on the side, and with it facing upward can hold an extra spear or flag. The lower mount will need another piece welded in where the brace sits.
17 Jul 24 c.jpg
17 Jul 24 b.jpg

Then I cut out and lined up the pieces for the V front. The frame attachment points will use U bolts, 1" on the top tube and 3" on the upper part of the rear mount. The lower part of the rear mount will use the existing hole in the chain stay and be bolted in.
17 Jul 24 a.jpg

I didn't get to cut the webbing, as these changes took all morning. My goal is to have everything ready to be welded up tomorrow, or asap. Two weeks is all that is left.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back