What have you been riding lately?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome 3 hour ride yesterday along Port Philip bay in Melbourne and then through town on my recently reincarnated HD. It has plenty of speed with its simple 6 speed Shimano drivetrain and 80psi DTH tires.
IMG_8875.jpeg

IMG_8883.jpeg

The wife & I did the Grant Wood trail from Springville to CR again on Fri in the on & off rain (sorry no pics). We only did around 16 miles as the wife ran a 8K the day before. We also stopped at a shop in CR called Goldfinch that the wife frequents for her bike bags, I had never been in there. They're a Kona dealer & they actually had the derailleur hanger for my Shonky project in stock! One of the owners/mechanics has a sick Shonky DJ bike that he built, so we talked shop for a while.

Sunday, we did the Bee branch trial to the Heritage trail in Dubuque (24 miles roundtrip). We stopped at the Durango Depot next to the Heritage trail so the wife could have a bloody mary. Their bloody mary's are fairly popular with riders in the area as they have extra pickle juice. The wife had a minor low-speed crash on her hybrid on the way back (no blood, no foul). I was proud of her as the 1st thing she said was "is my bike okay?" :21: :thumbsup:

Haro ride 7.jpg

I'm on seat #3 on the Haro & still not happy...

Haro ride 3.jpg

Most of the trails along Mississippi are currently underwater so we stuck to the high-ground. The Coast Guard actually closed the river to boat traffic due to flooding.

Haro ride.jpg

Haro ride 4.jpg

The boss's bloody mary, my 7-up in the background. :grin:

Last edited:
1988 Fuji Ace
2 year only model in the catalogs.
The crank arms didn't match and the right pedal threads were trashed. So I replaced the crank with a similar age road crank.
It had presta valve tubes but I replaced those before they blew our around the stem in the shrader size holes.
Rusted shift cables replaced.
Wheels were replaced before I got the bike with heavier USA made hybrid wheels. Trek's Bontrager Hard Case Race Lite tires that sounded and felt like I was riding on fresh tar.
I made it 3 miles then stopped at the local bike coop to replaced the clicking chain. It measured about 3/16" extra long in 10 inches.
The slender fork sure has some flex. Tig welded frame. Combines for a smooth ride.
44 mile ride yesterday. Only caught in the rain once. (4 times on my previous ride)

Next up is to do a flat bar conversion. There is just no local demand for low to mid range road bikes with dropped bars. With the heavy wheels it would do okay as a townie. I probably have to put on handlebar mount shift levers to sell it.

Fuji.Ace.1988 (1).JPEG

The wife had a minor low-speed crash on her hybrid on the way back (no blood, no foul). I was proud of her as the 1st thing she said was "is my bike okay?" :21: :thumbsup:

IMG_2347.JPG

I earned that shirt!👆👆👆Sounds like she did as well!😂😂

I rode my Kustom Kruiser Roadster for Bike Night (where I earned the shirt from a friend a while back:giggle:) and the theme was "Blue". We had about 75 that made it to the ride on a lovely evening.🤓
IMG_20240710_195313358.jpg

The pause that refreshes

1000022859.jpg

1974 Charles Roberts racing bike. Made in London England. #196 of who knows how many bikes he made. Charles passed in 1979 and his sons carried on production. This bike was purchased new from Michael's Cyclery in Ames Iowa by a friend of mine (Jim H) who passed away during the pandemic of lung cancer (non-smoker). His widow gave me the bike as she knew I'd appreciate it. New tires, grip, seat. Tune up. It fits me okay. The gearing is full race. 52/46 and a 13-19 five speed New Winner freewheel. Shimano Dura Ace cranks and hub. Weinman Carerra brakes. Cinelli stem & bars. Rigida clinchers. Jim was a student at the time so that explains the budget build. Never one to worry about it being "all campy". Jim and I shared the same birth month & day but not year. So every year I get the bike out as a moving memory of Jim and send the photos to his widow. Jim won the freewheel division at the All British Cycles Event one year on this flashy bike. I rode 44 miles today and I rarely got out of first gear. Second gear for a while. 3rd on a downhill and I tried the big ring just to make sure it shifts. The legs quickly said no to that. Campy Neuvo Record friction shift is rock solid. The brakes have some off brand neo plasticky pads which need replacing before the next outing. Now 50 years old. This was a go fast bike for it's age. Comparable to what they used in the Pro Euro races. Still fast but my legs aren't.

As a kid Jim H was in scouting. His scout leaders were Jim & Elizabeth Young. As newly weds they rode an English 3 speed tandem bicycle from San Francisco to the east coast and on to attend the 1938 75th year joint reunion of the blue & grey at Gettysburg. Jim Y was a civil war buff and was exited to camp out with the soldiers. They rode the tandem back to San Francisco passing through Cedar Rapids on the way. Elizabeth said it was a pretty town so they decided to relocate here. They got jobs at the local news paper. Elizabeth wrote a book on the double USA crossing titled "Bicycle Built For Two" . The originals are hard to come by and often cost more than their tandem did. There was a paperback reprint about 25 years ago. We met her when she was guest speaker at the Midwest Tandem Rally in Minnesota. We were sure surprise to hear she lived in our town so we introduced ourselves and met many times since. Elizabeth wrote another book about the family hiking trips along the St Laurence sea way and across Europe. As a college student she would spend her summers in Europe where she once met der furher on a train. Elizabeth was a tall good looking blonde, the ideal look for Germans in the 1930s. Jim told me that story and I later asked Elizabeth about it and she wasn't proud of that and changed the subject. As my wife has pointed out, her family wasn't hurting for money during the 1930s depression. Before she died she gave me her last bicycle and a box of maps where she traced all her trips. A red 1970s Raleigh 3 speed. My wife has ridden that Raleigh at the All British Cycle Event and the Lake Pepin 3 Speed Tour.

Remembering Last Reunion Of Civil War Veterans (9 minute audio)

1974.Charles.Roberts.JPEG

Today we rode the most "Berlin" track you can ride in Berlin. We circled the whole former western part of our city on the so called Mauerweg. A marked route that mostly follows along the former Berlin Wall. It's 165 km long and we made it (with a few breaks) within 12 hours. At shortly past seven this morning we started at the Brandenburg Gate and we're back there around 7pm. After that I put another 15 km on top for my way back home. So with the 2 km to the S-Bahn Station this morning I put 182 km on my clock today...🤘
My ride of choice for today was the Wolverine:
IMG_20240714_165839062.jpg

We were a very diverse group (defined by bikes): 1 Brompton folder, 1 Cruiser, 2 Bullit cargo bikes (one with e-motor), 1 e-Bike, 1 3-speed (mine), 1 MTB, 2 touring bikes, 1 gravel...
A few shots from underway:
IMG_20240714_104920241.jpg

IMG_20240714_083147822.jpg

IMG_20240714_105921945.jpg

IMG_20240714_112421881.jpg

IMG_20240714_112549814.jpg

IMG_20240714_120321313.jpg

Break time at the Sakrow church
IMG_20240714_121737431_HDR.jpg

Another water break
IMG_20240714_165855735.jpg

Km 150, you can already see the famous TV-tower, when you zoom in (left, above the trees)
IMG_20240714_174416172_HDR.jpg

Getting closer
IMG_20240714_181945556_HDR.jpg

Almost there
IMG_20240714_184503621_HDR.jpg

It was a long, but fine round with very fine people...
Screenshot_20240714-211837.png

Meanwhile one of our fellow co-riders put together some video footage of our adventure:
https://mastodon.social/@radxberg/112789883292326414

Last edited:
1972 Peugeot PX10
Out for the annual Bastille Day ride. Viva la France.
Same basic bike that the french pros rode in the Tour De France.
Reynolds 531 frame. Higher end french parts. Simplex ders but not the all plastic versions. Simplex made many models. These have steel plates with plastic trim. Working on putting more oem parts on it. The guy I got it from bought it from Alexi Grewal's father in Colorado in the early 1970s. Some parts were changed out since and he wanted to put it back more to stock but decided to let it go. I've replaced the crank and pedals with a Stronglight crank. I have another Mafac racer for it. I have 1 lever but without the top pad. I need a shorter stem on it as the bike is a bit big for me. They used to only make this model in 23" frames. They sold them with tubular tires/wheels or clinchers. Need another Simplex qr with the rubber grip too. Would have come with an Ideal leather saddle but I gave up my brooks club card long ago. The ride is different. A bit flexy up front but it doesn't slow down when you go up hills.

IMG_2513.JPEG

Last edited:
130 miles in 2 days. 1993/4 Gary Fisher Montare mountain bike that I use for trail & gravel touring.

Img_2519.jpeg

Latest posts

Back