Have others been dog bit while riding or had close calls?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
This is probably something that has been discussed in the past but I thought about making a post on the subject after being chased by a pitbull or pit-boxer mix yesterday in town while riding. Brought back memories of when I was bitten by a pitbull while riding my bike in town 12 to 14 years ago. Would like to hear if others have had dangerous encounters with dogs while riding. I realize most dogs are harmless and just like to chase anything that moves.

I do have a friend who had a dog run in front of her bike while riding.......she went over the handlebars and got knocked out cold in the middle of the road.

Way back when going to school, I got chomped on the thigh by the local junk yard dog that used to get out and bark at us as we rode by. It just felt like a pinch but in 4th period P.E. class when I was suiting-up a coach saw the blood and all Heck broke loose. School nurse, cops, animal control, parents, Wow!

Last edited:
When I ride in the city I see a few, but all have been in fenced yards. Last Sunday I decided to go out into the country and ride. Some huge dog started barking and running towards me until the line it was on caught and kept him at bay. Dog nearly broke his neck trying to chase me. A few miles later I ran across a dog on the side of the road without a leash or line. He was pretty big and I decided I had gone far enough down that road. I haven't looked for the best deterrent, but everyone I mentioned this to, said a loud air horn works. Not sure if I can out-pedal a running dog any more.

Normally it is only the little yappy ones that seem to be a problem around here...

Luke.

I've had friends mention that while running, biking..... the little yappers were the main biters in their experiences as well. Been fortunate and haven't had any real problems with them. Come to think of it if I have to get bit I'd prefer a little yapper over a pit or rottweiler...

I do have a friend who had a dog run in front of her bike while riding.......she went over the handlebars and got knocked out cold in the middle of the road.

Yikes! I hope she wasn't seriously hurt from it. Ever since being bit I worry about that but never thought about what could happen if ones runs out in your path.

Way back when going to school, I got chomped on the thigh by the local junk yard dog that used to get out and bark at us as we rode by. It just felt like a pinch but in 4th period P.E. class when I was suiting-up a coach saw the blood and all Heck broke loose. School nurse, cops, animal control, parents, Wow!

Glad you didn't get chomped to badly. Things have changed, years ago they didn't seem to make as big a deal when a child got dog bit as long as it wasn't serious. But within the last 15 or so years it has become a major situation when it occurs even if injuries are minor.

When I ride in the city I see a few, but all have been in fenced yards. Last Sunday I decided to go out into the country and ride. Some huge dog started barking and running towards me until the line it was on caught and kept him at bay. Dog nearly broke his neck trying to chase me. A few miles later I ran across a dog on the side of the road without a leash or line. He was pretty big and I decided I had gone far enough down that road. I haven't looked for the best deterrent, but everyone I mentioned this to, said a loud air horn works. Not sure if I can out-pedal a running dog any more.

The dog that chased me yesterday is normally in a fenced in yard. I assume he escaped that day because I've never seen him out before. Out in the country can be more dangerous. Many people seem to feel they don't need to keep their dogs secured since they live in the country. Ever since my bite incident years ago I take slow drives out in new potential country riding areas and check if houses have dogs or not. My area is very rural so the country roads are mainly where I ride since my village/town is very small.

I think I've only had one dog chase me with ill intent, but I was already cruising at a good clip, so it wasn't that close at all.

I did however almost run over a "little yappy dog" because it wasn't on a leash. I don't think it was as aggressive as it was curious, but nontheless, it almost got between my wheels.

I love dogs, but owners need to be responsible. I hate it when dogs aren't on a leash on the trails.

There are a few big ones that roam my 'hood from time to time. They can and will chase, and not in a playful "I want to play fetch" sort of way but rather in a "let me eat your face" sort of way. I really am afraid to ride because of this, and I absolutely hate the idea of having to get violent with such innocent animals when it's the owner who let it happen.

I have no real defenses other than my fists and my pocket knife, neither of which I really want to use. That pretty much leaves a squeal of the tires and a cloud of smoke as my only defense. I did yell some words not repeatable on this site at one lady who just stood by and watched her dog attempt to rearrange my face, and she had the nerve to get all offended when I inform her, in not so nice words again, what the leash laws are here.

Only had one dog I ever actually struck, dude was biting at my foot so i booted him good and he turned away. I'm told if you go after them, your in trouble, if they go after you, the owners in trouble. If you hit them with your bike or the dog causes a crash, the owner is in trouble.

Normally it is only the little yappy ones that seem to be a problem around here...

Luke.

Those little Doberhuahuas are the worst.

audis-super-bowl-commercial-is-the-story-of-a-doberhuahua-apocalypse.jpg

Audi-Super-Bowl-Commercial-Doberhuahua-3.jpg

I grew up with great big black german shepherds, I have no fear! :) Never been bit riding. Knock knock on glass for my &@$!
Also, fyi, once you know a dog intends to bite, attack him, "boot to head," yell, no and bad dog. Works.

2 years ago had a red nose pit come after me on one of are back roads and just as I was flying around the corner thank you for this day that save my life a animal control truck was coming down the road seen the pit chase me and this men stopped the truck and pulled out this bb gun looking thing and heard the dog yelp and all I can say Is I didn't look back and never have I went down that road again.

As a youth, I was taught the worst response to a threatening dog is to flee...it's in their nature to pursue you. Therefore, I've stared down a few vicious mutts in my time and have never been bitten. Maybe just lucky.

Ahhhh an age old problem , in my younger days working as a paper boy it happened every day on the same street and same dog he usually just chased me , one day he bit me.I carried a bat the next day...that poor dog...he never bit me again but to this day I still feel bad it came to that.The dogs owners were the real problem in the end result...Shame

I've given one the boot before. On a bike you're really in a pretty good position. Sure, you've always been taught never to flee, but that's because humans can't outrun a dog. You can easily outride one though and you can kick them hard in the face while you're riding, (they'll make it an easy target). A bike also puts you up high where you are largely out of their reach.

Back in the day I used to ride a recumbent. They're a much worse ride around dogs. On a recumbent you're right down at their eye level and you better be ready to spray 'em or pedal like heck.

You've also got to keep in mind that there are aggressive dogs and there are AGGRESSIVE dogs. Truly aggressive dogs are fairly rare. I work around dogs almost everyday and what puts me on guard are multiple dogs, "aggressive breeds", dogs on ropes or chains and dogs displaying freaky aggressive behavior. A dog growling, barking or raising it's hackles while it stands it's ground is not usually anything to worry about. Neither is a barking dog on the other side of a fence. If that same barking dog is throwing itself at the fence however, that's not normal. Any dog that stalks you is also one to watch. Particularly one that doesn't appear timid. Two or more and you're in real danger. Timid dogs will wait until your back is turned and rush in to nip at your heels or will bite you if they feel cornered. They're just pests. What you're most likely to run across on a bicycle is a playful dog that wants to treat you as prey.

Many have tried, none have succeeded! Many have eaten shoe leather or rubber! One I doubled back for with a piece of 1/4 round oak molding and rang his bell! No pity for the snarling buggers at all!!!!LOL

yep...but in the great state of TX, we can defend ourselves however we see fit.

There is no enjoyment to be had in defending yourself from a dog...the best thing is pepper spray.

Blue/Red Heelers and lapdogs seems to be the most likely to give chase...the best thing I've found (even with feral dogs), is you stand your ground and make noise, bluff them with more aggression than they bring to you. backup is always the .380 in the left front pocket

A neighbor a mile away has a male boxer that was aggressive and chased me while biking. I took the pepper spray one time and soaked his face down pretty good. The last time I rode by there the dog saw me coming and ran away. Pepper spray is the way. Large size can, mounted on your seat tube. Gary

My ex's dad had a really nasty boxer, a female. As much as I'd been around her, she never ever warmed up to me, which is unusual b/c i typically get along well with dogs. She had run of the yard, and they had an invisible electric "fence" installed. The legend was, "Molly" was known to take a hit off the electric fence in pursuit of a cat, squirrel, or other neighborhood vermin. Anyway, I wasn't there to witness it, but one day a roadie rolled by the homestead, and Molly ran thru the fence, caught up to the rider, knocked him off the bike, and was snarling over him when the old man caught up to the scene. She didn't hurt him, but she was definitely threatening. Lucky for him it was TN; had that occurred here in NJ, there'd have been a lawsuit for sure.

I never cared much for ol' Molly.

I love dogs, but owners need to be responsible. I hate it when dogs aren't on a leash on the trails.

Me, too. If an unfettered dog comes at me whilst I'm trail-riding, I do my best to keep the chase on for as long as possible, so those pesky owners have to spend as much time as possible rounding their pets up in the woods. Maybe they'll use a leash next time.

Back