Have your tastes changed since coming here?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yoothgeye

I build stuff.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
When I first joined RatRodBikes.com I had just built my first rat rod bike to my specifications. I started with a sandblasted 1950 Columbia frame and a wheelset. I did the flat black on the frame, laid down some OEM graphics by hand (paint pen), red rims, then added some new parts. It was what I had dreamed up in my head and I liked it. Then I joined here and saw many bikes similar to mine and loved them as well, but the older bikes with all the "extra" stuff on them, I wasn't real keen on.

I respected the survivor looking bikes, but I wanted something stripped down and sleek.

Then I joined my first build-off and by the end of the build my bike had a rear fender (seriously modified, but nonetheless a fender), a tank, and a chainguard, all the stuff that I had not wanted on that first bike. But I had painted over the original paint and faked much of the aging making a '76 Murray appear to many people to be much older.

Then in the next build-off I basically just polished rust, added some parts and called it a day, and it's my favorite of all of my "rat rod" bikes.

Now I am drawn more to original bikes that are just revived instead of restored, all the "extras" like fenders, tanks, guards, flaps, etc... I'm all for it.

Maybe I should make a website called patinabikes.com (and then just route it here)...

Have I changed or has this site changed me?

Anyone else had a shift in their bicycle taste since being a member here?

Rat #1:
IMG_3669.jpg

Rat #2:
100_2800.jpg

Rat #3:
done16.jpg

Yes, but in a different way. I used to like cruiser style frames but I now have been drawn to elegant diamond frame bikes. Not only for the functionality(frame size) but also for the style.

I always have liked a Beausage/Patina bike frame. Painting is a pain.

cman said:
I always have liked a Beausage/Patina bike frame. Painting is a pain.

This is more of my direction, it should look used because it has been. I faked the patina on my 76er build and I'm not digging it now like I did then.

This site has brought a new level to my sickness. I thought I only loved cruiser bikes. then I saw a cool diamond frame, then I saw a sweet swing bike, then I saw a sweet tandom........ Man! I never thought my taste in bikes would grow to be so wide open. My goal is to build one of each style someday. :D I have alot of respect for everyone here that shares their unique builds. It provides ideas and inspiration!

then i saw a sweet scooter, then i saw a sweet board tracker, then i saw a sweet BMX'er

slowriderz said:
This site has brought a new level to my sickness. I thought I only loved cruiser bikes. then I saw a cool diamond frame, then I saw a sweet swing bike, then I saw a sweet tandom........ Man! I never thought my taste in bikes would grow to be so wide open. My goal is to build one of each style someday. :D I have alot of respect for everyone here that shares their unique builds. It provides ideas and inspiration!

then i saw a sweet scooter, then i saw a sweet board tracker, then i saw a sweet BMX'er

Yeah, I'm feeling this too, bikes are like Pokemon to me, I gotta catch 'em all.

I put the peanut butter on before the jelly now.. thats all taste wise.. but bike wise... I am more open ..
to saveing the old one now or nice complete bikes... before I would just do what ever with any old bike frame..
but now I take into account ... if its rare.. if its complete... or close .. I dont really have a style .. and i dont really post my
bikes.. but I have not seen a bike here that I have not liked... if anything I would say I look at bikes more than just a bike..
its like looking at a 60 vette... or a 57 belair ... I look at the bikes .. that way .. follow the lines appreciate the different bikes more...and the difference in each bike and the eye of the builders here...

I've grown open to more styles, and learned about a lot of older stuff I never really paid attention to before. As far as "taste", well, my projects are currently centered around my kids. I didn't know what a muscle bike was before, and now I'm seeking them out.

Would have to say no to the taste change since being here. I still love old, "modified" bikes the best! Fenders, chainguards, GEARS, crazy forks, lights, wheel and tire variations, weird paint and apehangers! I have gotten a lot of new, awesome ideas from this site too.
I built several Triumph and Harley choppers in the 80's. Mostly mixing parts, aftermarket parts, homemade parts and crazy paint jobs... unlike many of the new, expensive, fancy machined and molded bikes you see now. Ours were home built monsters with character and heart. :mrgreen:
I do have a couple of rusty "tetanus" bikes too.
Bicycles are just as much fun, safer and definitely cheaper to build!
Love my bikes.

Mitch

Mine sure did! I never really noticed old bikes to much before finding RRB. I found the site as i was looking for ideas for my brand new cruiser custom. Seen yall's and been hooked since. Now i got 4 bikes.

I'd say yes. Then... I was a centrist, moderate, just want to revive an old bike back to its glory, maybe add a little personality. Now... I just want crazy, absurd, sick! RRB gives me inspiration and permission to do that!

I remember my first build off , got the bike for free (64 Austrian made Sears three speed) I had an emergency brake handle from a 38 chevy , my simple buildoff was born, Now I end up spending too much$$$$ because I have seen to many cool bikes here, and my garage is just crazy with bike stuff.

Latest posts

Back