Hawg Wylde, my 1962 Schwinn Typhoon 20" Pig Bike Build Off #17 Class 1 Entry.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oops forgot the photo.
20220821_105045.jpg

I put a Schwinn Gripper Slik on the rear. Not for the tread, I thought the Pie Crust sides look more authentic for an early drag racing Slik.
The lever grips were in terrible shape, they looked like a melted Strawberry Sundae. I sprayed them with PlastiCoat metallic red and they look much better.

Last edited:
There is soooooo much coolness rolled up into that little package!
Very well done!

There is soooooo much coolness rolled up into that little package!
Very well done!
Thanks man! I am down to the wire, as you predicted in your first message to me months ago. Now I am pushing to get as much working as possible so it will show well in the end.
Good luck to you man!

About a day and a half left and a couple of the finishing touches will not be arriving in time.
However, the bike is rideable and close to being a finished project so I will have my photos in before the deadline Tuesday at High Noon.
After this is done I have to get my Samurai finished or I will be sleeping on the porch with my herd of stray cats.
And probably fighting them for food.
That means I will be starving.

Last edited:
I am as close as I can get to what I envisioned considering my last minute orders did not deliver today. I will be honest and point out what is missing as I go as well as describing the homemade and repurposed parts in the build.
In my defense, the bike is rideable and has functional brakes.
20220905_161303.jpg

This is a shot of the (almost) completed look. My other finned aluminum heat sink panel for the left shifter side cover was one of the pieces USPS decided to hold for ransom today but this shows the idea is sound.
20220905_160912.jpg
20220905_161004.jpg
20220905_161805.jpg

20220905_161858.jpg

These are photos of the shift lever mechanisms and the console top. The bracket on the seat stay is for the 3 speed shift cable. It was made from a brake arm clamp, a bolt and spacer and a brake pivot from a 10 speed brake lever
20220905_160946.jpg

This is a view from the drivers seat. The speedometer is a J.C. Higgins and the radio is an Archer AM/FM from Radio Shack.
20220905_161049.jpg

I am using the left lever to actuate both drum brakes. I used a generic GYRO cable block and made a new slide. I soldered all the cables together on the slider and adjusted everything and Voila! Both brakes work together.
20220905_160909.jpg
20220905_162022.jpg

20220905_161156.jpg
20220905_161244.jpg

Why do this? I needed a way to actuate the Wheelie bar mounted Drag Brake and I wanted to use it from the handlebars not the console. The caliper is awaiting the braided stainless cable housing.
I wanted a set of Scott Mathauser pads but couldnt find a set of the originals. I didn't want to use the reproductions because there are less fins and I like the originals better. I planned to make finned covers from chipset heatsinks but I couldn't find any quick enough to do them.
20220905_161625.jpg

20220905_161144.jpg
20220905_161413.jpg
20220905_162117.jpg

The headlight and taillight were from a Delta 6 volt lantern. The battery box is from an Ash Flash 6 volt D cell flashlight. I am using a 6 volt sealed battery from an emergency exit sign.
20220905_161543.jpg
20220905_162117.jpg

The headbadge was cut from a piece of brass drain pipe and covered with a decal I designed and drew up on Adobe AI. Don Fogler at [email protected] printed the headbadge and chainguard decals from my templates.
20220905_162043.jpg

Screenshot_20220905-191532_Gallery.jpg

20220905_161721.jpg

Chainguard is a modified Spaceliner part with a handmade front bracket. The rear mounts to the fender brace with the front fender mounting loop from the front fork.
Also in the photo are the Torrington Jeweled pedals and Wald Sunburst end caps.
20220905_161508.jpg

The front fender mount made from a bolt and a piece of chrome copper faucet supply pipe. The loop was from a 1990s fork from a reproduction Orange Krate.
I appreciate all the encouragement from members here, and all the work everyone put into their bikes.
Thanks for looking!
Rob

Last edited:
For those who are coming in late, the 2 shift levers are actually used. The right goes to the internal 3 speed hub and the left goes to the Lauterwasser hub gear conversion.
When functional there are 9 speeds available without a front derailler and multiple front sprockets.

I made a very costly error on this build.
I did not post my bike on the Finished Builds thread.

I posted it finished in my thread complete with several photos and a detailed description of the work. Four months work and several hundred dollars and it all went down the tubes because I made one mistake.

Winning or not, it would've been great to have known how it would've done.

If I understand the rules the bike cannot even be entered in another build off because I have already built it in this one.

It is my error and I cannot fix it. My only excuse is that it is was my first build off and I misunderstood the final step.

Thanks to all the people who followed my build, your compliments, comments and suggestions meant a lot to me. It was a great run, but I tripped over the finish line.

If there is any good in this it will be if some other prospective competitor next year remembers this and does not make the same mistake I made. To conclude I leave these words of wisdom..

Mothers tell your children for me
Not to do what I have done
Spend their lives in sin and misery
In the House of the Rising Sun

Good luck to everyone who finished their bikes.
Rob

Literally one of my favorite songs ever. Unfortunate that you're living it...
but I know you'll be back to wear that ball and chain

Yeah I know. Thanks man.
If I wouldn't have put myself under the gun on finishing it, I think it would've been a much nicer finished product. Then it wouldn't have even mattered because I didn't push myself to compete.
I damaged the paint and repainted 3 times, instead of doing all the work first, tearing it down and painting it then and reassembling it with bubble wrap all over it to stop the chips and scratches.
It doesn't help that I am very competitive when I enter anything like this.

I posted it finished in my thread complete with several photos and a detailed description of the work. Four months work and several hundred dollars and it all went down the tubes because I made one mistake.

Winning or not, it would've been great to have known how it would've done.

If I understand the rules the bike cannot even be entered in another build off because I have already built it in this one.

It is my error and I cannot fix it. My only excuse is that it is was my first build off and I misunderstood the final step.

Thanks to all the people who followed my build, your compliments, comments and suggestions meant a lot to me. It was a great run, but I tripped over the finish line.

If there is any good in this it will be if some other prospective competitor next year remembers this and does not make the same mistake I made. To conclude I leave these words of wisdom..

Good luck to everyone who finished their bikes.
Rob
The voting system is lame anyways in my opinion. I’ve considered only doing the build and not entering the finish threads because it’s so silly. You did the fun part and that is build a bike and share in the fun! It’s an awesome bike. Go have fun with it and share on your build thread.

Tough break on the rules you turned out a top notch bike but you got a cool bike out of it and everybody still gets to see your work .
You only win bragging rights in this thing anyway there's no prize everybody gets to show there work drop some tips and get some ideas
for their next build .
Keep on rat'n

I was done with mine months ago and didn't enter it on purpose because it was being built for my nephew and until he rides it, it's not finished. The build threads are what I enjoy the most about the build-offs. Even so, I'll cast my votes because others find the competition aspect more enjoyable than I do. It's all about the bikes, ultimately.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back