hawthoorne with curves

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just picked this up last nite ,after getting mysweetie that 47 roadmaster i had to have a ladies org. to ride with him . not going to clean her up too much but shes all there it was sold as a 37 vintage any input

BtC6GBmkKGrHqYOKjoEvN44eNlBL6Vm0Iww.jpg

BtC6DQgBGkKGrHqQOKiIEvOQcc46BL6VnBq.jpg

Beautiful bike!!!!! Saw that one on Ebay for sale. Those curved seat tube Hawthornes are among my favorites.

Not as swoopy......my wifes Hawthorne. Just a good wax and polish on this one.

[/

thanks guys thats all i'm doing to this one other then swapping wheeels with a nexus 3 speed set i just picked at the local bike shop sale . having the cog ground . if any of you have some tips for non envasive cleaning on the paint and chrome please chime in. ciao

was that the org. paint simple guy ? i wish the fender stays were niceer on this one.but its org. pitina .

I saw this bike when it was on eBay listed as a 1937. It is actually from 1939-1940 and was made for Montgomery Ward by H.P. Snyder.

The bike is shown in the Fall/Winter 39/40 catalog but it is often confused with the Girl’s Hawthorne Zep model pictured in the Spring/Summer 1938 catalog and the Girl’s Cleveland Welding Roadmaster Supreme from 1937 and 1938.

It is actually an evolution of those earlier bicycles that begins with the 1937 CWC Girl’s Supreme model. In 1938 CWC released a slightly modified version of the 37 bike with a new rack and stem. The old 37 rack continued to be produced (or used up) on bikes sold to Montgomery Ward as premium 1938 bikes with the substitution of a quadriplate fork in place of the CWC Swan fork. MW also contracted Snyder to build a virtually identical bike apparently to meet assumed demand for the model.

The Snyder version has many minute variations from the CWC bike that are apparent if you know what to look for. On the Snyder frame the seat binder bolt pierces the stays, there is a reinforcing ring around the seat tube where it intersects the top down tube, and the upper rear fender bridge is arched rather than straight. Beyond the frame, the rack is different because the seat binder is in a different location and the fenders and stays are completely different stampings. Those bikes do share chain guards and tanks.

After producing the 1938 Girl’s Supreme and 1938 Zep, CWC discontinued the girls curved seat tube frame. Snyder continued to produce their version of the bike but with one major change; the earlier bike used two brace tubes beneath the tank and the later frames use only one. Otherwise the earlier and later Snyder frames are the same but the bike also differs from the earlier bikes in having lost the battery powered taillight and the twin Silver-Ray headlights and gaining the option of a spring fork (interestingly supplied by CWC as an option on all Hawthornes regardless of who produced the bike.)

The second series curve-tube girl’s bikes are only depicted in the Fall/Winter 39/40 catalog but may have been available throughout 1939 and most of 1940. They are not common but they turn up a bit more than either of the earlier double braced frames and they make a very graceful bike. Yours is an excellent complete bike and one of only three I have seen in very good original paint (your bike plus red/white, black/white, and a frame in cream/blue). Your braces may clean up with a bit of work, the correct originals are not the same as CWC braces and are a bit hard to find. Your front fender was probably clipped as it should have a small duck tail.

WOW thanks and i just thought it was cute LOL . well i'll treat her like royality

Back