Head set swap

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 62 Schwinn American and I was wondering if anyone has done a head set swap on one from the same era. The problem I have is; that the upper race is inverted meaning that the bearing cup screws onto the fork instead of being pressed into the head tube. I can get a couple pictures tonight or tomorrow. I just wanted to get this out there to see if anyone knew.

It's a "deluxe" headset. The cup does screw onto the fork, but the cone is pressed into the frame, and you can run a regular Schwinn headset in the same frame-- or any other headset with Schwinn-standard dimensions. I've swapped a lot of headsets in Chicago Schwinns; many "bmx"-sized 1" threaded will fit (32.5mm at insertion), and the biggest issues you'll have is with the crown race (needs to be 26.4mm at the seat; many are 27.0mm) and with stack height. I replaced the "Deluxe" Schwinn OEM headset on my Super Sport with a Tioga BearTrap II, and had zero fitment issues. There are, of course, other options as well.

That's a good point, and really, I like the inverted-top "deluxe" Schwinn headsets quite a bit... but those Beartrap IIs with the serrated washer are awesome.... and cheap.

Latest posts

Back