Heavyweight build "FATBOB" CHANGES!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Single sided stay/forks heavy build. New name: "FATBOB"

LukeTheJoker said:
... probably means I wont be doing it... At this time anyway...

Luke.
haha right on... just to keep you thinking, honestly waterjet or laser is not that spendy, at least not here in the states, there is no labor cost etc, just run time. beings it'd be a 2d cut file it would be easy to render, and it looks like a few people around here might be capable. as for fitting you're good still w/no frame mods.. you wouldn't need to mount it on the flange, you could tuck it in on to the dish, cut the same width band as that mtb disk and flip / tuck the caliper behind the stay...
yup, just trying to get you to do it so i can watch and live vicariously thru your build.. haha be good, its a killer regardless.

There is a good plate cutting mob here in town I have heard from some guys, might be worth me asking the question... :wink:

Luke.

so you see what i saw re the caliper and disk... NICE!!
It may be surprisingly affordable dude, also i've found that sometimes the guys running equipment like to do out of the ordinary stuff as long as you know what you're trying to achieve and not creating a hassle. Its nice to step outside of production runs every once in a while and it also gives them a chance to demonstrate their talents and we all love a good ego stroke... it has to do with the wing nut factor in the guys who build stuff.
also,maybe double up the calipers just for beefy tough bike looks to keep in theme.
keep going!!

love what your doing on both bike! cant wait to see the results :)

Not much happening on this build as I have been busy on the muscle bike build, but some experimenting with disc brakes on that bike has led me to believe that just having a normal disc and caliper on the front and another on the rear will be plenty to pull FatBob up from speed, so if I go with that I will just buy another brake set like the one I ended up using on the muscle bike and a larger disc to clear the freewheel on the rear.

My other option is the 190mm (7,5/8inch) motorbike disc and caliper on the rear which I am still considering, I dont have any experience with cable operated motorcycle brakes so not really sure about it, they do seem to pull up those little trail bikes pretty well though...

Using just one of the rear discs on the muscle bike, I can pull up from speed quickly and even lock up the 5 inch wide rear tire, pretty impressive, cant wait to get both hooked up on it!

P2258774 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

DSC00264 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

Was a real pain to make the mounts for the drive side disc brake as both calipers are identical and the angles are offset to suit the non drive side mounting arrangement...

Back on this bike soon, got to finish the muscle bike by the 10th of March so pretty busy on it at the moment...

Luke.

OK, let me ask... what are you planning on building for the main build coming up in May?

yoothgeye said:
OK, let me ask... what are you planning on building for the main build coming up in May?
:mrgreen: Not actually planning on entering at this point. Have got plenty of plans still though... Safe to say, if I do enter it will be in the anything goes class! :mrgreen:

Got plans in mind for a 21inch trailbike wheel and tired (29ino.d.) mountain bike,
A Big wheel boneshaker,
Possible wooden framed bike,
A folding drag bike,
A belt drive something?
A motorbike tired trike with completely hidden dual drive, leans into corners and air suspension (but wont fit in the house :roll: ),
A cycle truck and a few others, so if I do decide to enter, there will be plenty of options...

Which of those do you think I should consider if I do decide to enter?

Luke.

LukeTheJoker said:

Luke.

Of the 7 options I like 2, 5, 6, 1, 4, 3, and 7. Not necessarily in that order.

I'd like to see your version of a tilting trike. I have some design ideas I was working on... not for the build off but as something to do. Leaning/titling trikes tadpole and delta design are all the rage on the design forums over the last year... I'm not so good with the mechanics myself, but the rest ain't as tough :)
:mrgreen:

Anyway, always interested in your take on things.

Btw, you pulled off the proportions for you and your muscle bike beautifully! I really respect that, I don't know if you did it contiously or not. For me it is not something I put a lot of thought into, I only had a vague idea of the scale, seeing you on your bike really brought the importance of that.

Think tilting trike!

Rich

yoothgeye said:
Of the 7 options I like 2, 5, 6, 1, 4, 3, and 7. Not necessarily in that order.
:lol: Thanks for the help! :lol:
RichL said:
I'd like to see your version of a tilting trike. I have some design ideas I was working on... not for the build off but as something to do. Leaning/titling trikes tadpole and delta design are all the rage on the design forums over the last year... I'm not so good with the mechanics myself, but the rest ain't as tough :)
:mrgreen:

Anyway, always interested in your take on things.

Btw, you pulled off the proportions for you and your muscle bike beautifully! I really respect that, I don't know if you did it contiously or not. For me it is not something I put a lot of thought into, I only had a vague idea of the scale, seeing you on your bike really brought the importance of that.

Think tilting trike!

Rich
Not sure if my version of the tilting trike is that ground breaking, I actually meant it as as you lean into corners the bike leans with you, as opposed to turning the handlebars also tilting the trike, but now that you mention it, I did draw up some plans for that about a year ago, might have to dig them out... :wink:

The muscle bike size was a big thing at the planning stage, being the size I am, I am totally sick of bikes that don't fit me, I bought an extra large framed mountain bike a couple of years ago and it is still absolutely wrong for me, in order to get proper leg extension I have to have the seat as high as it will go but then the bars are way to low, also the frame is too long between the seat and bars and too short from the seat to the pedals. Doesn't help that it has the worst seat I have ever used, feels like sitting on an axe blade! :x I have plans to fix the bike, mainly by building a new handle bar stem that will bring them back towards me a little and a lot higher, oh, and a new seat... But yes, sizing the muscle bike was a big consideration! I plan to use it as my main bike when the build off is over, so it had to be comfortable above all else. I added the multi adjust seat post to try and make it so other "normal" sized people can ride it to, but have hit a roadblock with the sissy bar design to make it adjust enough to match, still working on that. Made one mistake with the Muscle Bike proportions, I ended up with a bottom bracket that is a bit too high, but it does work ok, so I am not too fussed.

How well does your bike fit you?

LukeTheJoker said:
Not sure if my version of the tilting trike is that ground breaking, I actually meant it as as you lean into corners the bike leans with you, as opposed to turning the handlebars also tilting the trike, but now that you mention it, I did draw up some plans for that about a year ago, might have to dig them out... :wink:
You usually come up with solutions while they may be used before are your own version of the theme, always good to see you perspective of something :)

LukeTheJoker said:
How well does your bike fit you?

I will know better today, assuming it stops raining, I have sat on it a few times to make sure it does fit, and the proportions do feel right. After the muscle bike competition, I will probably lose the apes and the seat, I prefer the leaning forward stance for casual riding, and the look of the bike without them is more light saber :) I kinda like that about the frame hehehe.
I am still very new to this building stuff, so there is going to be a bit of trial and error before I have a feel for what feels right and what works. But, that is just another part of the adventure :)

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this.

Rich

I think you've got a lot of original ideas and the talent to pull them off

You maybe can consider, what bike could I make that I would ride a lot
AND make people's eye's pop out of their heads :lol:
I think you already have a few so it going to be tough to out do yourself...

Best of Luck
Steve

LukeTheJoker said:
yoothgeye said:
:mrgreen: Not actually planning on entering at this point. Have got plenty of plans still though... Safe to say, if I do enter it will be in the anything goes class! :mrgreen:

Got plans in mind for a 21inch trailbike wheel and tired (29ino.d.) mountain bike,
A Big wheel boneshaker,
Possible wooden framed bike,
A folding drag bike,
A belt drive something?
A motorbike tired trike with completely hidden dual drive, leans into corners and air suspension (but wont fit in the house :roll: ),
A cycle truck and a few others, so if I do decide to enter, there will be plenty of options...

Luke.
If you can wait a year , i would be in for a wooden frame bike chalenge :) ive done some woodworking classes in the past and always wanted to do a bike frame

MplsCoaster said:
I think you've got a lot of original ideas and the talent to pull them off

You maybe can consider, what bike could I make that I would ride a lot
AND make people's eye's pop out of their heads :lol:
I think you already have a few so it going to be tough to out do yourself...

Best of Luck
Steve
Thanks Steve! As far as building a bike to ride alot and make peoples eyes pop, I think today told me I have acheived that well and truly!

Did the run around getting photos and videos of the muscle bike, so much fun to ride and very comfortable, I rode it far more than I have ever riden my mountain bike in one go, and I still want to go back out and ride it again! As to making peoples eyes pop, we had only just got it out of the car when the first guy came over for a look, followed all day by many others, cars slowed down and give us the thumbs up and a beep, and even whole families come over for a closer view while we were setting up photos... The kids absolutely loved it, we let them sit up and the seat and set off the police siren and strobes, got some massive smiles and laughs... :mrgreen:

A small taste...

FILE0105 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

I don't think I will be joining in the big build off, but I will be watching and gathering ideas... :wink:

By the way, the muscle bike is quite large, bigger than even I thought. Had to remove the front wheel to get it to fit in the wagon each time we moved spots. Parked side by side with my extra large mountain bike when we got home, the handlebars on the muscle bike are nearly a foot higher and the seat is only just lower, but the big surprise was length, they are almost identical... :shock:

Luke.

Luke.

OneHorsePower said:
If you can wait a year , i would be in for a wooden frame bike chalenge :) ive done some woodworking classes in the past and always wanted to do a bike frame
This might just happen... :wink:

Luke.

Sorry about the long pause on progress with this bike, took a break to do the muscle bike build off, and now am needing a break myself to recover from it...

The extended break allowed me to rethink many aspects of the build, while the single sided stays are cool and work fine, they just don't look good in my opinion, too clunky, heavy and I just don't like the non-symmetrical frame style, it is more a engineering exercise than a cool bike. The way I did the rear wheel and stays on the muscle bike looks far neater and lighter in my opinion.

I am also thinking about changing out that worn out rear tire with a new one, unfortunately, due to the size of that tire, it will be an expensive change... For the same money I could do something even more drastic, but I will keep that under wraps for the moment in case it doesn't happen.

So my plans at the moment are to change to dual sided rear end, possible change on the rear wheel/tire combination and a general lightening of the entire bike... I will keep you posted as I get back to it, but this will be a long build...

Luke.

LukeTheJoker said:
For the same money I could do something even more drastic

With your skill/creativity I'm REALLY looking forward to what you come up with! :shock: :shock: :shock: I sure hope you're sticking with the box tubing. I'm going to finish the cycle truck and take my break until the anything goes!

bigfatcat said:
With your skill/creativity I'm REALLY looking forward to what you come up with! :shock: :shock: :shock: I sure hope you're sticking with the box tubing. I'm going to finish the cycle truck and take my break until the anything goes!
Just sent an email to confirm that what I want is still available, and to find out how much it will cost me, I will let you know when I know more... :wink:

Luke.

Never got a reply from my email regarding the other wheel and tire idea, but while hunting for tires for the upcoming Big Build Off, I did manage to find a better rear tire for FatBob, not as worn and far more evenly worn too... It has been plugged, but it looks like a good job so should be fine.

Best bit was the price...

FREE! :mrgreen:

8611967323_b8eec0282c.jpg

Luke.

Back