Helmet check

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had the occasion on my commute to work this week to do a helmet check. I was headed downhill on a side street on my KHS XC204 Mtn bike with a very stiff tail wind. I use this route every day and know its quirks. About 2 blocks down I take a left not a hard 90 less tight. Traffic held my turn up to farther into the corner I didn't slow down. This line brought me over a smooth flat manhole cover. I slid out but was heading down the side street sideways till I hit the uneven surface where the two streets met. This I hit and the bike flopped over to the other side ejecting me down the street. I landed on my back and hit the back of my helmet on the asphalt hard. I had the mornings jacket and shirt in the pack so it was a good cushion and the helmet Giro Xen did its job . after a few stunned moments I assessed the damages . Pedals scraped, elbow bloodied, grips torn a few extra holes in backpack . Today I rode the Western Tire And Auto SilverShield in with no helmet I never wear one with the cruiser bikes. Am I wrong in the head? Oh and even though they say replace the helmet I'm not going to it didn't crack or compress and it's saved me about 6times already.

I have always heard you should replace your helmet after an impact. My wife had an accident(bad) and her helmet appears to be fine and not needing replacement. My brother had an accident on the same day and his helmet cracked definately showing need of replacement.
I think lots depends on your riding style too how much risk you are willing to take.

http://www.bhsi.org/replace.htm

One helmet has saved you 6 times already? I'd have it framed and get a new one, and wear it whenever I went riding.

Didn't mean to start a replace or not thread. Just wanted to know if many wore a helmet on the rats & cruisers I ride much more aggressively on the Mtn bike. and wear it every trip. not so on the rats. what do you guys do?

I live in military housing so I have to wear one. I'd like to find a helmet that looks like a straw hat.

Wildcat said:
I live in military housing so I have to wear one. I'd like to find a helmet that looks like a straw hat.

Is this close enough?

yakkay.jpg

XC204 said:

i was planning on getting the melon from nutcase for my boy, i havent rode a helmet on a bicycle though myself but i think if im expecting him to, ill need to get one myself.

and i myself believe the "replacing a helmet even with no visible damage" thing is largely a liability thing since everyone seems to be sue crazy in general.

I like that gray one in the middle. Matches pretty well with the fishing village here. Where are they advertised?

I always wear a helmet, not so much for me as for the guy on the phone and drinking coffee in his suv or the lady pulling out of her driveway with a minivan full of kids. I tell everyone where I work that you never hear anyone say "Thank God I wasn't wearing my helmet!"

Here in New Zealand, bike helmets are compulsory by law (especially my Girlfriend's law!), and we can't get those Yakkay ones down here. I realised the coolest helmets I'd seen were on the ski slopes, so I found myself the Giro Bad Lieutenant, a snowboarding helmet, and wear it without the ear-warmer flaps. So now I can protect my noggin summer and winter.
giro-bad-lieutenant-fw0809-i-023672.jpg

first off, glad youre ok! i dont even own a helmet, sometimes i even ride with flip-flops on. i dont recomend this, & if i get hurt i guess i deserve it. dont really have a reason or excuse for not wearing a helmet, i just never really thot about it much till recently. last fall i spoke with a state trooper, pa law requires anyone under age 12 to wear a helmet. i watched him look it up in the book & read it myself, so i know its a fact.

X-Ray I put in over 3500 miles a year riding 5 days a week all year long so I wear one except for Rat/Cruiser Fridays in nice weather when i ride an oldie to work. It seems to be condusive to a less agressive riding style and speed. Im sure the single speed and coaster brake contribute to this. I don't wear any spandex just shorts or jeans sometimes sandales in the summer and layers in the winter.

Glad to hear you are ok XC204 and you had on a helmet.
I've had my brain injury with a helmet on (2 months off work) and I don't wear a helmet on cruiser very often, but I should. Style over gray splatter.
They say you should always replace your helmet after a fall, I guess if you inspect your helmet and you fell good about it wear it. I split mine just above my right temple, I replaced it. I'm looking for a helmet that looks like brains to wear while cruising, has anyone seen one latly? I know someone makes them, I've seen them but can't remember who had it.

Thanks Dos I bought an expensive one Giro Xen that has very good suspention and back of head coverage. Any time I hit on it I go over it looking for cracks or compression of the foam core Im confidant so far its ok. The brain painted lid is in this link . http://www.nutcasehelmets.com/Pages/index.aspx

Thanks X, I guess I don't see it because I wasn't looking for a green brain. I'd like one in a brain gray tone.

Back