HELP - Felt El Guapo FSA headset triple tree question

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingfish254

BUILD COOL BIKES AND HAVE FUN!!
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
130   0   0
Hey guys,
I was trying to get the triple tree setup right on my El Guapo and something doesn't seem right.

This is what it is supposed to look like put together, and I can get everything to this stage.
bimage.jpg

The problem is once I have it setup, the steering tube has some play as I pick up on the bike. So removed the top triple collar. and the top of top headset cover.
There is a gray inner bearing race that is supposed to keep the bearings down against the bearing cup. This was up higher than it should be, so it no longer was keeping everything tight.

Here is a photo of the bearing race wedge slid all the way down in its proper position. You can see that it sticks above the bearing cup some (as it should).
WP_000929.jpg

Looking at the top headset cover, you can see that there is a recessed gap from the lip. The problem is that this gap is greater than the height of the bearing race wedge above the bearing cup. That means that the top headset cover has sonthing that is pressing down on the bearing race wedge to keep it in place.

Am I missing a piece that sits under the cover and presses down on the race?

WP_000930.jpg

I found this image googling around, so I think it does look like there should be some spaces in there below the dust cap.

IMG_0616.JPG

I just picked up a Monster version of an El Guapo and the bike was never assembled properly. I am having the same issue. How did you fix it and do you know where I could find an exploded view of the headset?

I think you need one very thin spacer to put between the "wedge" and the piece above it. Is the wedge a split ring, or is it a solid piece? You may be able to use a generic piece, or at least a very similar piece from another headset...

The wedge is a solid piece. I am going to try and find some spacers tomorrow and see if I can take up some of the slack. Any others suggestions?

Latest posts

Back