help make these bars work

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got some mini ape style bars from a buddy of mine. I gave them to my dad for his bike, but we cant get them to snugly fit into the stem. They dont have the raised center section like his other bikes, or the "threaded" area for grip. We tried to space the gap with rubber...no dice, the bars just moved since they are slick. Tried to build up tape right there in the center, bars still moved. Any other ideas short of buying a new stem?

PIC-0148.jpg

PIC-0147.jpg

The steel shim is usually spot welded on the older mtb bars, or find that correct cool stem

Thanks guys! Will just throw his old ones on until we get the correct stem. Bummer, but it is what it is.

If it has the grips, will the rubber shim work? Because they are still too small in diameter to git snug when the stem is torqued down all the way. (or any shim for that matter)

udallcustombikes is spot on. i had the same problem with some motorcross bars i wanted to put on my klunker.
i grabbed a center punch and made rows of dimples where the stem attaches.

Also, if you have any old handlebars that you feel like cutting down a little you can make shims out of that too.

No problem, call around to your local bike shops until you find one that has a "Stein Knurling Tool". This tool will roll knurls into your bar in just a couple of minutes.

um a more permanent solution would be drill a hole through the stem and handlebars in the exact position you want it. mark both first, then use a a sheetmetal screw and a shim between the handlebars and the stem. handlebars wont move side to side or spin. just an idea. no welding or anything.

chaunceysj said:
um a more permanent solution would be drill a hole through the stem and handlebars in the exact position you want it. mark both first, then use a a sheetmetal screw and a shim between the handlebars and the stem. handlebars wont move side to side or spin. just an idea. no welding or anything.

:shock:

hahaha its a rat rod site!!!! :D :D :D only do this if you dont particualarly care about removing it. or better yet.... dont do what i said before.. in fact. forget i said it. haha :lol: i got a bit excited

Back