HELP! putting a disc on a non disk hub...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Yep. That about sums it up. How can I put a disc on a nondisc brake hub? Specifically the 24" OCC front hub. I'm not the guy who can lace a hub, let alone lace a different hub into it... Got no qualms about drillin' holes and using a spacer, so I guess that's what I'm a gonna have to do. Anybody ever done something like that, shed a little light into my corner...

This is probably a non-starter but it is not for me to decide. The face of the disc mounting surface on the hub is 15mm from the face of the lock nut. This measurement needs to be very accurate and the mounting surface needs to have zero run-out (flat with no wobble).

Got it. Now, say I had an old Shimano caliper, the kind that uses a standard brake cable to actuate it. The 15mm measurement is derived from the distance of the surface of the mount (effectively the lock nut) to the spacing the disc would ride in... I'm not sure this old shimano is the same as a modern caliper, but I can figure out what the measurement needs to be by fitting the caliper to the wheel... with the old caliper this looks to be much less than .059 inches (15mm)

but, I do need the surface of the caliper to be on the outside of the fork tips just to clear the spokes... and to complicate it more, the fork tips (front dropouts?) are mounted on the center of the vertical plane of the fork tubes...
forcing me to modify the tube end a bit to clear the disc ... hehe... a circular saw blade...

there's also a shoulder on the hub I need to clear... lol ...yet I think the hub has room to mount a spacer...

Don't think that will work, the front disc wheel is dished like the rear is for your rear gears. Dished for the off set of the disc. In the last couple of months I have been going crazy converting a lot of bikes to disc. Either just the front or both. The fork needs the bracket to hold the caliper on, then the disc hub. I have seen a adapter on some blog some where but nothing to buy. I got a Triple Tree Fork from "CMAN" that had a Disc Caliper bracket already welded on to it. So now I have a front disc on my space liner. So if you can find that spacer out there, corner the market on the stuff for us all.

If you can, find a kids bike, maybe a 20 inch junker at a thrift store that has a front disc and have a LBS build it for ya. Not cheap but it will the easy route.

Yep. I have very closely examined ;) them front rims with disc's and they be dished all right.
I'm not planning on doing that... :chicken:
I've done a mockup, mostly it's the way the tube is in my way that's the biggest hurdle.
That and the spacer...o_O
More on the way...

Carl.

I got a complete mountain bike from the scrap yard for £5. Its a Sabre. Has front and rear disc brakes. 24" wheels with painted alloy rims. Both wheels have that screw on disc mount adaptor. black steel hub with silver alloy adaptor, 36 spoke built tangently, not radial tho. The rear dropouts are large triangles. I had a plan of cutting off the disc mount drop out and using it on the front forks of another bike. Not got round to it tho.
I think the Sabre was sold in Toys R us, or in catalogues, here in the UK. Probably sold elsewhere. Maybe under a different brand. So shouldn't be too difficult to get the parts for pennies, as the bikes weren't that great. I have Serviced the Sabre bike and rode around on it, the brakes are ok.
I have seen other brands that have holes drilled in large flange hubs. and bolts thu the adaptor, that is threaded right thru. I don't think it would be that difficult marking out and drilling the hub flange. might be an idea to print out a template that you can put on the hub.

Yep. That about sums it up. How can I put a disc on a nondisc brake hub? Specifically the 24" OCC front hub. I'm not the guy who can lace a hub, let alone lace a different hub into it... Got no qualms about drillin' holes and using a spacer, so I guess that's what I'm a gonna have to do. Anybody ever done something like that, shed a little light into my corner...

Some general info. The aolhanga brand disc caliper is preferred in DIY disc conversions to fit in tight clearances. The disc conversion spacer that you mount on a non disc hub by drilling holes in the wide hub flange is marketed as 68 spoke.This same spacer was marketed for 36 spoke before,so there may be a hub flange flex issue.Either way customer service is good and will answer your questions.See disc conversion parts at www.custommotoredbicycles.com

Back