Help with Schwinn serial number...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked up this 40s Schwinn DX to fix up. The guy told me it was either a 47 or 48. I searched several of the Schwinn serial lists and can't find my number...the numbers are missing where it should be in 48.

09/17 ------------------ E41316 ------------------- E43008
09/18 ------------------ E47196 ------------------- E48889

My serial is E44377

2011-04-19-183846.jpg

Here is a couple pics of the whole bike.

2011-04-17-174158.jpg

2011-04-17-174147.jpg

Am I missing something or just a noob? Any help getting to the bottom of this is greatly appreciated!

Your not missing a thing, and your obviously using the same ser # chart I am as it reads exactly the same.Check the kickstand on your bike against a later schwinn stand to compare. If the one on your bike has a tapered foot than it is more than likely a 47 model. The "Pencil tip" kickstand was used only that one year.Ser #'s for 47 or earlier are unavailable. If not, it has been widely discussed that the Schwinn ser#'s are not w/o mistakes, and given the very close proximity of your ser# I would feel safe in calling it a 48.It looks pretty darn correct, drop center wheels, skip tooth drivetrain w/sweetheart sprocket. proper fenders and all! Would love to get a look see at that headbadge if you feel so inclined :wink: Later & PEACE!!! :mrgreen:

Unfortunately, there is no head badge on it :(

I plan on getting one though!

9/25 to 9/30 from 1952 E42997 TO E52559 BUT MY LIST ALSO SAYS PRE 1948 B12818 TO Z12993 SO IF THE SKIPTOOTH IS ORIGINAL COULD BE 1946 SINCE ALMOST ALL SCHWINNN AFTER WW2 WERE 1/2 PINTCH UNLESS 1946 I THINK :!:

CAN NOT BE 46! It has the post war type kickstand on it. As well as the "Fish hook" type drop-outs.

axsepul said:
9/25 to 9/30 from 1952 E42997 TO E52559 BUT MY LIST ALSO SAYS PRE 1948 B12818 TO Z12993 SO IF THE SKIPTOOTH IS ORIGINAL COULD BE 1946 SINCE ALMOST ALL SCHWINNN AFTER WW2 WERE 1/2 PINTCH UNLESS 1946 I THINK :!:

This is out as well since in '52 the serial numbers moved to the left drop out and the one in question is on the bottom bracket.

I pulled the crank and no date...just AS & CO. I did look at the kickstand and it does appear to have a slight taper to the foot.

The crank and sprocket are original to the bike. The only parts that aren't are the seat, possibly handlebars (they have a seperate sleeve over the center where it attaches...like a spacer) and the fenders & truss rods which are from a correct donor bike. The guy I got it from told me he switched fenders because when he pulled this from a barn the originals were really chewed up.

I appreciate everyone's help so far!

I took another look at that crank and DID find a number on the other side. Looks like 3620A but the first number is hard to make out...could be a 5 or a 9.

Schwinn did not go to fishook type droputs and the integrated kickstand until 47,46 is post war, yes, but again, they did not change the frame design until 47. Trust me on this one. If you have the "pencil tip kickstand it is a 47 model, this explains the ser.#. I had to learn the hard way. I discarded one of those rare stands thinking it was damaged! :shock: Later & PEACE!!!!! :wink:

Cool. Any clue as to the number on my crank?

I've been laboring over that question since I got it...I believe I am going to clean it, get the rust off and repaint black frame with red accents and red fenders. I may add a couple things like a headlight. I want to fix it up but not restore...I want it to be retro but totally mine ;-)

I really cant help you on that crank #. Sounds like you have a good plan of attack though.There are disc kits available for your New Departure hub, should the originals be worn out, this is a pretty good thing to use if needed.As far as a headlight, a Delta Torpedo is most likely what it would have been optioned with originally. There are re-pops of that light available priced reasonably. :wink: Just make sure to ride it! Mine is reeally needing some TLC as the original paint is literally wearing completely off at this point.I will paint it once I find a proper rack for it.
Dxandme001.jpg

Thanks!
I like yours as well! I do plan on riding a lot! Unfortunately, getting this bike and seeing this site has given me yet another obsession...er...I mean hobby. :D Already scoping prewar frames for a possible board track racer. Ah well...it's people like us that keep the past alive and the world interesting!

Back