Help with Shelby step-through

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted photos of this old girls Shelby a couple of days ago on Fresh Finds along with another piece. I realize it is not a real "sexy" find, but I still think it is cool and have questions about it. As I look at others girls Shelby's, most do not have the curved piece of tubing between the two main tubes. Many of them have two slightly bent tubes between the main down tubes.

ShelbyampSchwinn003.jpg

ShelbyampSchwinn004.jpg

ShelbyampSchwinn005.jpg

I spent hours going thru all of the past Shelby entries on Fresh Finds last night. The only Shelby girls I found with a similar frame was a postwar Flying Cloud or a Traveler. The Flying Cloud was well equipped with the tank, light, and rack. Does anyone know what the "Supreme" badge means? The serial number appears to be either F or P 67973.

Any help wth the year or model is sincerely appreciated. Thanks!

I know this isn't much help, but I have a 1949 24" womens Shelby with the same Supreme headbadge, but it has the more common tank. It is similar, it has the dogleg crank, same chainring, etc. I suspect your grips and seat are not from a Shelby, but I'm no expert.

Good luck, Rg

I studied my book and here is what I can share:

The frame first appears in 1940 and continues through 1953
The chainwheel first appears in 1937 and continues through 1953
The cranks look the same throughout
The bars appear from 1941 through 1948.
The truss rods appear from 1935 up until 1939

You may notice that no single year overlaps the truss rods and frame! Does this mean things were changed? Not necessarily. Catalogs are just catalogs... and this book is not a complete library of all sales lit ever printed, but only that which the author had available. 1941 through 1948 overlaps most of your features. I have been told that "Supreme" means high end, but yours doesn't have any high end parts left on it if it ever had them. I don't read very much into the badge.

What brands are the front and rear hubs? That can sometimes narrow done the field.

Back