TRADITIONAL The Resu-Trektion

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking good so far! Love the bling

Cat Mood GIF

Got your saddle picked out?

Been noticing a few on here that have gotten my attention as possible candidates.

Since I'm trying to make it more of a cruiser something comfy might be nice. Option #1

1717859029808.png

Aged leather might look cool on the rat fiber and the springs would provide a nice comfy ride.

1717859157516.png

This one kind of grabs me too as option #2

1717859483840.png

Or.....option #3 I could use the saddle I bought for it back in 2018. I liked it because it looks like an airplane.
wr12.jpg

All tempting options at this point. :cool::D

One thing that was (still is) a bit of a nail biter was the removal of the cable stops so I could work on removing the finish.

IMG_1499.jpeg

Messaged OJ and he was able to talk to one of his buds at the Trek store he worked at and confirmed removing them was a fairly ordinary procedure. Just need to drill out the rivets.

Rivet gun was delivered along with some other goodies yesterday so time to polish the stops.

IMG_1492.jpeg

Made some holders with some small screws and copper sleeves.

IMG_1495.jpeg

Sandpaper wasn’t cutting it so had to break out the files.

IMG_1497.jpeg

More work than I thought but did it sitting in the living room watching Netflix. Yada yada shiny.

IMG_1498.jpeg

Still need to rivet them on but want to put it in the stand. All sucked into a series on the Netflix for now. (Your Honor with Brian Cranston. )

Hoping they go back on ok but everything tends to be a little nerve racking with this carbon frame.

You need to do a collage of your reflections in shiny bike parts!
:D

Looks like little chrome sneakers.
I think I'm going to like this bike (not just the cable stops)
Noticed the sneaker thing as soon as I saw the pic too.

Re-installing these was indeed a nail biter. Anvil is too big to fit into the stops so had to improvise.

Grabbed a couple slot car axle bushings for spacers.

IMG_1512.jpeg

Soon as I finished the test pull those were long gone so had to switch to pinion gears.

IMG_1514.jpeg

Every time the gears would go flying so moved outside to try and make them easier to find. Waited and got stainless rivets. Lot of force involved and it’s a big pop when the mandrel breaks.

IMG_1523.jpeg

IMG_1522.jpeg

Finished up the fork.

IMG_1521.jpeg

Re-installed these chain protectors.

IMG_1524.jpeg

Wanted to check out how the gray brake cable casing look with the carbon.

Idea was to use yellow to highlight the shift cables since they will be symmetrical then have the brake cables blend. Was going to use black but the ice gray was on sale and looked close to the frame color.

IMG_1531.jpeg

IMG_1537.jpeg

IMG_1535.jpeg

IMG_1539.jpeg

Want to put the back wheel together but still need to sand and polish the spokes. 😟

Grabbed a couple slot car axle bushings for spacers.

so had to switch to pinion gears.

Love seeing this. A true handyman that saves every little thing,
"Cuz you never know, I might just needs these one day!"

So many fine details coming together on this sexy thing.
Love how the guides turned out. They look great on the bike.
Nice cabling color choices too.
What a beauty!!!

Thank you so much fellas. Pretty exciting having this finally start to emerge as planned so long ago.

Long day of arduous labor sanding the blade spokes for the rear wheel. They are very rough and didn’t want to remove a lot of material but it makes them sparkle a bit. They actually can look black or chrome depending on how the light hits them.

IMG_1544.jpeg

Spoke holes are offset so rims has a little more dish on the drive side.

IMG_1546.jpeg

Decided to replace the original Shimano 105 cassette with this Ultegra unit from the Flow wheels I got from KF. It’s one level up and has a bit nicer finish. Kind of a titanium look and the retainer matches the color of the new skewer.
IMG_1545.jpeg

Ran out of daylight but maybe tomorrow I’ll try them on and see how she looks. 🤔

What a cool shot with the still of the original on the screen behind! Can't wait to see the look with the wheels on in the light of day.

I'm thinking of concrete, asphalt and glass fir backdrops for this modern speedster. Think fast and furious for your photo shoot!
Yeah. Like this?

1718473275864.png

Got me thinking about that stripe. Didn’t want to do much graphics but I do need some kind of chain stay protection. Could maybe incorporate something small there.

1718473426000.png

WOW! That is a thing of beauty right there!

Back