Hi from Utah

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I have been lurking around these forums for a few weeks but now it's time to introduce myself. I am an interface designer that has recently fallen back in love with bikes as an escape from a life that has become too digital. Don't get me wrong, I love technology, smart phones, and such but sometimes I just need to use my hands to do something more than clicking a keyboard or moving a mouse.

I live in North Salt Lake, Utah but was born and raised in San Jose, California. I absolutely love the way a good cruiser bike looks and feels when I ride one. Recently purchased a few project bikes for $35 each: a girls 24" Western Flyer and a men's 26" Royce Union cruiser (pics and more description below). My newest addiction is going through the local classifieds, ebay, craigslist, etc. looking for a good deal. I've already found a third project bike but I'm trying to pace myself and hold out for the absolute best deals.

The Western Flyer is just awesome and my older boys love to put their mountain bikes down and take if for a spin. It has lots of rust, the front wheel is badly bent, missing the front fender, and has lots of creaks and squeaks. I will probably polish the chrome, leave the original paint intact (rust and all), lube the bearings, replace a few spokes and true the wheels, get new tires and call it good.
western_flyer_before_01.jpg

western_flyer_before_02.jpg

western_flyer_before_03.jpg

western_flyer_before_04.jpg

This bike is the Royce Union men's cruiser. It has an awful paint job from the previous owner and I am planning to strip it completely down, paint it, and build with new parts as needed. The cranks are shot so I plan to update the bottom bracket and update to a more modern, cotterless crankset. I wish the previous owner had at least masked the head badge a little better because even though Royce Union isn't really a classic brand, that badge was cool looking. Going to try and remove the black overspray as best I can.
ru_cruiser_before_02.jpg

ru_cruiser_before_01.jpg

Well that's should get me started. I'd love suggestions on either of these projects. I have been blown away with the cool rides on this forum. Looking forward to joining the knowledge-share :)

Welcome to the RRB. You are dead on about the cool rides on this site...so many talented people here!

Back