Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mat R

MattyIce5280
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi my names MattyIce, I'm new here, I just recently bought a occ stingray that is in pretty good condition to commute around downtown Denver. I didn't realize how out of shape i got from not riding a bike for 15+ years lol. So I decided I want to convert my bike into an ebike .. I'm trying to do this as cheap as possible .. I know there's only so much I can do without breaking bread... I'll post a picture of the bike and if anyone has any advice please lmk I'm learning

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240808_161339_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20240808_161339_Facebook.jpg
    1 MB
First of all, Welcome Aboard!

I'm not a fan of electric yet. There's a lot involved and batteries need to last longer for my liking. For your stingray, you'll have to invest some bucks for it to be a decent electric bike. A motor in the hub, most probably the front would be efficient, but you would need to relace the wheel if you wanted to keep it the same size, or use a wheel already with a hub motor that would fit the bike. You could mount the battery box in a few different places on that bike.

I would keep it like it is and just ride it to get in shape. That'll come in handy as you get older. I'm almost 68 and still am able to ride a bike like I didi 20 years ago. An electric bike from the factory might be about the same cost as a conversion of a regular bike, and be better engineered. Just my opinion.

there are so many inexpensive e-bikes available, maybe not as cool as your OCC, but I'd go that route and leave the OCC as is. If you decided to tackle this project, I look forward to seeing it progress.

Latest posts

Back