Hi Stop Coaster Brake

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anybody know anything about this brand? I've been trying to find one for a couple weeks now because from what I hear they are 32 spoke hubs. I'm looking to lace a coaster into a deep v wheel with 32 spokes. Is Hi-Stop still around? I see ebay adds for deep v wheelsets with Hi Stop coasters, but I can't seem to find anywhere where I could just find the hub, or any info on the company. Thanks.

deorman said:
I think most of the old 24" cruisers use 32 spoke. You might find one in the swap meet forum. :|

Had a thread going there for awhile, since nobody spoke up I decided to try to find a manufacturer. Can't find any listed on ebay either.

I haven't had any problems with mine, but its on-road only and I don't beat on it. There don't seem to be any high quality modern coaster brakes for sale in the US, especially with 32 holes, so that kind of limits your choices.

I haven't had any problems with mine, but its on-road only and I don't beat on it. There don't seem to be any high quality modern coaster brakes for sale in the US, especially with 32 holes, so that kind of limits your choices.

hotfoot said:
Does anybody know anything about this brand? I've been trying to find one for a couple weeks now because from what I hear they are 32 spoke hubs. I'm looking to lace a coaster into a deep v wheel with 32 spokes. Is Hi-Stop still around? I see ebay adds for deep v wheelsets with Hi Stop coasters, but I can't seem to find anywhere where I could just find the hub, or any info on the company. Thanks.

Hi-Stops blow, sort of.
The hubs on the BFK's were Hi-Stops and I decided to take mine apart before I put my fat backside on it. Good idea. Had about a 1/4 teaspoon of metal shavings come out of it BRAND NEW, so if you decide to get one be sure to repack it before you use it. 32 spoke is kind of an odd number, could be tough to find.

They work OK, at least for me, if you don't overload :? their load performance limits, but they are nowhere near as good or as long lasting as a properly maintained OS clutch type coaster. Definitely clean and lube before use. You might find a bent bb cage :shock: :x or something :roll: .

Thanks for the heads up, I'd still snatch one up if I had the opportunity though because of the scarceness of 32 spoke coasters. The machining remnants left in the hub from the factory sound kind of sketchy though, that'd be a large bummer if you didn't clean them out!

Bikeparts USA and Amazon.com both have them for that price, but they don't have 32 spoke. The 28 spoke and the 36 spoke are the same price so I imagine the 32 spoke should be roughly the same as well, assuming a supplier can be found.

I have two bikes with Hi-Stop coasters, both work fine so far, but don't have high miles on them. One is laced to a deep v rim that I purchased on Ebay.

Stumbled on this old thread looking for something else, but just a word on the Hi Stop brand as they're made by KT/Quando, which also makes Shimano's single speed coasters they pretty much all seem to be the 305 model with the only difference the brake arm. I think any quality issues between the 3 brands is mostly perception, I've had problems with some Shimanos also.

This hub diagram below is a link directly from KT's webpage, note the name on the brake arm in the drawing

305RB_02.gif
305RB_01.gif

Back