Hide Brake Cable in Frame

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been thinking about hiding rear brake cable in the frame, how easy is it to do?

Did have a search of howtos but nothing showed up

Thanks

MrG

If you did not build the frame yourself this could be tough. Trying to tread the cable through the holes left in the frame for heat expansion when welding will be difficult. And if there are any sharp turns it might not travel very smoothly. But keep us posted if you try.

Thinking of putting brake cable along top tube [shortest route] maybe be difficult to do

Was just a thought :p

Thanks

MrG

I've done it through several frames and even forks. Something small like going in at the head tube and out at the seat tube will actually clean things up a lot.

In the top of the fork leg and out the bottom:
cablefrominside.jpg

Although a bit hard to see, the rear brake goes in through the frame behind headtube and out the opposite side in front of seat post:
Img_2508.jpg

In through fork crown and out lower leg:
frontleft.jpg

I find if you drill a hole no larger than the cable and use a dremel/file to make the hole oval, then use a punch to bend the opening slightly to help angle the cable's exit. Even on something as light as a fixie fork I've never experienced any problems. I usually wrap the brake cable end with a bit of tape and fish it through the hole, then put the cable sheath on and pull it back through the frame.

I was just going to run cable along top tube to rear brake, going to give it go

Thanks for the heads up

MrG

Its an easy trick. Most times only takes a minute or so at the most.

Recently worked on a bike for our Bike Share program that came factory with threaded cables in the frame. Turned out it had a bad cable sheath- a bad kink. I think the bike was a 90's Murray but don't quote me on that... not important anyway.

In any case, I needed to replace the cable in the frame and needed to preserve the threading to avoid a difficult time re-threading.

I disconnected the cable at the rear brake, cut the rusty, bent old end off near the rear brake, and pulled the center wire out of the sheath. Then I threaded a new center wire through the old sheath till it was all the way through to the rear brake.

Next I pulled the cable sheath off, out of the frame, but leaving the center wire threaded through.

Then I measured and cut the new cable sheath to match. With a little WD40 or similar lube, it's surprisingly easy to slip it back through the frame, threading it over the center wire.

If I was threading a cable into a new custom drilled frame, I think I would feed the center wire thru first (maybe an old one that you can put a helpful kink into) and once it's going where you need it, slide the sheath on over it from back to front.

Good luck with it, it leaves a real clean look!

--Rob

Hi
I'd like to do the same with my folder. I'm adding a 3 speed hub and want to keep it looking as clean as possible.
Are there any structural risks in making 2 cable diameter holes to rear (shift cable/brake cable)?
Can they be placed next to each other in a figure 8 pattern? too risky?
Is there any place I should AVOID? (seams being the obvious). I'd also like to snake thru the bars.
Does it matter if the frame is steel or alum?
Thanks for the help!
Chapito

In through fork crown and out lower leg:
frontleft.jpg

"OCD"
Did you install that disc brake on the front tire/fork yourself. Reason i ask is I have a 72 raleigh sports that I want to convert to a front disc brake and the fork to my bike looks just like the fork on yours. Do you or anyone have any info that would help me out on this. Thanks...

Nelvolks

It's not hard.
The thing is that the cables will not work properly if the bends are too tight or if there are too many of them.
Try simulating first by fixing the cables to the outside of the frame using the pattern you want. If they work then drill.

Back