Hmmm...should I customize the $5 Fleet?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Opinions wanted. I was taking apart my 24" Fleet to scrub, when I stood back and mocked up a sorta board track look. I had some an old drag bike Schwinn forks, and some 26" wheels with fresh WWs for a defunct project. It all seems to fit. The rear tire is iffy. I threw it on flat, but dunno if it will clear inflated. Plus, is a 24" Fleet something I should not molest? I can stash every stock parts and this will butcher nothing. The copper grips will go on these handle bars and I will still seak a coppertone seat for a custom, but original look.I think I'm gonna go for it. LMK what youns think.

Schwinncustom.jpg

i wouldnt repaint (mainly because that paint looks great) but i would bolt on as much as you like. 24" bikes are odd birds, not many people looking for them, but those who are may be willing to pay $$$ for a nice one :) just keep the other stuff together in a box incase you decide to get rid of it.

looks great btw, but there doesnt look like much space on the rear to the adjust chain tension, is that going to be a problem ?

No repaint for sure! Paint ain't perfect, but I wouldn't paint over that Chicago USA sticker!!! As for tension on the chain...that will likely be a problem. I will attempt to resolve it though.

Conversion. done. I'll post a pic in a minute. A Half link will be the ticket. Although I have everything clear, the chain tension is a bit tighter than I like. Pouring down rain so no test ride :cry:

I can't tell you what to do but if it were mine I'd sure enough customize it. Heck fire, I'm 55 years old and the only original thing I've got is my wife and she looks great just like she is.

If you do customize it, don't cut nothing. Just customize it modestly.

perfect! i would just paint the wheels black to make them match, and its done! :D

Heres todays labor/fun! The 26" wheels are Colombia tandem. So is the crank and sprocket. I need longer cranks and a smaller sprocket for the PA hills. The seat is temp till I find the coppertone messenger. I redrilled the sear frame so I could mount it further rearward. I dunno about the fenders. I added the Columbia front and an unknown rear. They may not stay. Best of all, I cut nothing! All original parts are stashed. Hope youns like it!!

Fleetcustomized.jpg

fleetcustomizedd.jpg

Back