Hollow hub vs front hub

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
What Luke said... :thumbsup:

I have been thinking of doing the same and have a pair of old wheelchair wheels to use that I picked up at a car boot sale. I guess it depends on whether or not old wheelchairs are easily found in your area.

Good luck,

Glen.

I used to go regulary to the scrapyard in town. I got a bike trailer that has ball bearing axles that have a sort of quick release on them. That cost me £5, about the price of a bike magazine. I built alloy rims onto the hubs and use the trailer when Im shopping. The hubs are a bit loose in the frame, don't think they would be good for a trike that has high sideloads in cornering. Im not biking too fast when Ive got the trailer.
I seen a wheel chair at the same time. It had cool 5 spoke plastic mag wheels. The wheel axles had a sort of attachment point that looked like a BMX handlebar stem. Clamped round a tube on the wheel chair frame. I didn't get the wheelchair. As Im not planning on building a trike. And the wheelchair mags wouldn't fit on the trailer as it has a box section steel frame.
Another time I seen a wheelchair that was alloy framed and had alloy spoked wheels. I didn't take that either. I stripped out all the bolts from it tho, as they were stainless steel.
Theres a small hospital on the edge of town that has a department that deals with the equipment for disabled people. I was up there once, as they sent a letter to a previous occupant of my place. There was a rubbish skip full of walking frames and wheelchairs. They just dump them at the scrapyard.

Back